Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 1.8l 2006 Engine stall, swaying rpm at neutral (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=200959)

Ironballsson Mar 11th, 2014 22:03

V50 1.8l 2006 Engine stall, swaying rpm at neutral

Hi experts, I am new in the forum, please help.

Symptoms:
1. After engine started, rpm drops till too low that it stops, especially in cold weather. If the temperature is above zero, the engine will choke (sounds like it will die at any time) at low rpm for some time after started, then comes back to normal around 1000.

2. After the engine started and rpm comes to normal, before driving off the car, touching the gas pedal slightly by foot, I found the rpm drops slightly by 100, then giving harder press on the pedal, the rpm rises as normal.

3. Now drive the to the road, at some point put the gear to neutral position and let the car slide. I heard and found the rpm swings between 1500 and 200 continuously. Pressing down the clutch, rpm becomes stable as normal.

All above mentioned symptoms disappear after 5km running when the engine is hot. I have done some homework search and it seems the problem could be: idle control motor, crank position sensor, MAF and oxygen sensor, fuel pressure regulator, etc. I don't think cleaning the throttle body can solve the problems for long term.

Before homework search I have stupidly spent lots of money at local dealer getting the gas pedal changed, and temperature sensor cleaned, etc, so that no more fault indicator light is on in dashboard, but all problems still exist!

Could someone kindly help me out with these annoying faults? What should I really do with little money left and an angry wife?

Thanks!

SonyVaio Mar 11th, 2014 22:09

For parts 1 & 2 I'd have thought the throttle body would have been to blame and requires a clean/replacement.

For part 3, this makes it sound like you have a clutch/DMF problem.

:star-wars-smiley-01

Daim Mar 12th, 2014 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonyVaio (Post 1602175)
For parts 1 & 2 I'd have thought the throttle body would have been to blame and requires a clean/replacement.

No DM fault... All to do with the throttle body :)

Daniel jakobsen Apr 29th, 2014 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironballsson (Post 1602167)
Hi experts, I am new in the forum, please help.

Symptoms:
1. After engine started, rpm drops till too low that it stops, especially in cold weather. If the temperature is above zero, the engine will choke (sounds like it will die at any time) at low rpm for some time after started, then comes back to normal around 1000.

2. After the engine started and rpm comes to normal, before driving off the car, touching the gas pedal slightly by foot, I found the rpm drops slightly by 100, then giving harder press on the pedal, the rpm rises as normal.

3. Now drive the to the road, at some point put the gear to neutral position and let the car slide. I heard and found the rpm swings between 1500 and 200 continuously. Pressing down the clutch, rpm becomes stable as normal.

All above mentioned symptoms disappear after 5km running when the engine is hot. I have done some homework search and it seems the problem could be: idle control motor, crank position sensor, MAF and oxygen sensor, fuel pressure regulator, etc. I don't think cleaning the throttle body can solve the problems for long term.

Before homework search I have stupidly spent lots of money at local dealer getting the gas pedal changed, and temperature sensor cleaned, etc, so that no more fault indicator light is on in dashboard, but all problems still exist!

Could someone kindly help me out with these annoying faults? What should I really do with little money left and an angry wife?

Thanks!

Greetings from Denmark. I have the exact same issue, i took off the throttlebody and cleaned it thoroughly, and inspected the gear and the small electric motor that drives the flap on the throttle-body, all seems fine. Nevertheless the cleaning did not solve my problem. I was wondering if you found a solution to the problem ?

Cheers.

jeffmasson Apr 29th, 2014 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel jakobsen (Post 1635235)
Greetings from Denmark. I have the exact same issue, i took off the throttlebody and cleaned it thoroughly, and inspected the gear and the small electric motor that drives the flap on the throttle-body, all seems fine. Nevertheless the cleaning did not solve my problem. I was wondering if you found a solution to the problem ?

Cheers.

They are all bugs in the software number 3 1 I think has been fixed by updates so if your car has not had a volvo service in a long time might be worth getting the car service with them and get the updates free or just paying for the updates.

Daim Apr 29th, 2014 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonyVaio (Post 1602175)

For 3rd: the same issue. The idle can't be held properly... Common 1.8 issue.

The rest: yep.

Daniel jakobsen Apr 30th, 2014 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffmasson (Post 1635297)
They are all bugs in the software number 3 1 I think has been fixed by updates so if your car has not had a volvo service in a long time might be worth getting the car service with them and get the updates free or just paying for the updates.

Thanks, brilliant answer.
I my mind i could not see why the throttle body in all cases should be changed(as many people and mechanics say). After a cleaning it looked brand new, furthermore since there was no "slack/play" in the barrings, and no errors from the sensor, a software bug seems very likely :).

Cheers

jeffmasson Apr 30th, 2014 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel jakobsen (Post 1636016)
Thanks, brilliant answer.
I my mind i could not see why the throttle body in all cases should be changed(as many people and mechanics say). After a cleaning it looked brand new, furthermore since there was no "slack/play" in the barrings, and no errors from the sensor, a software bug seems very likely :).

Cheers

I think they tried to get to smart with it it try to keep the revs up for a better gear change bit like doing a heal and toe but by software so when you keep the clutch down it gets all confused.

V50RWT Oct 19th, 2015 10:56

Hello I'm new at VOC,

2007 V50 2.0 petrol

I have the exact same problem as Ironballsson. I've had new software installed and a new ETM but the problem stil exists.:lightning:

I would like to know if Ironballsson and / or Daniel Jakobsen got this problem fixed and how?

Grtz. Rob

alfadave11 Oct 19th, 2015 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffmasson (Post 1636120)
I think they tried to get to smart with it it try to keep the revs up for a better gear change bit like doing a heal and toe but by software so when you keep the clutch down it gets all confused.

could be a clutch switch problem the ecu receives information for this sensor as well ...