Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   V70 Prins conversion questions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=327746)

TomW Sep 18th, 2022 13:55

V70 Prins conversion questions

I've just bought a 2002 V70 2.4L 20 Valve automatic with the Prins Silverline conversion.
There's a small receptacle to fill with Silverhook LPG additive for valve lubrication and was converted in 2012 by Global Autogas of East Molesey near Esher Surrey at a cost of £1200 no vat.
The company's telephone number on the old invoice is now unobtainable.
Car runs perfectly on lpg and I'm achieving 30mpg on a long run with a light foot.

Does anyone know anything about Global Autogas or have contact details?

Would this have been a suitable conversion for the car and who would you recommend to service the lpg within 50 miles of Ipswich?

Do converted Volvos run better than the factory produced bi-fuels? I had a bi fuel v70 and never got more than 25mpg.

Joe Harding Sep 19th, 2022 08:29

Okay, my experience of LPG is limited to single point system on my old 340 but here's what I have found to date.

LPG if it is set up right shouldn't need much doing apart from the LPG filter changing (once in 5 years in my instance) but you will lose the gas in the lines which freezes everything on release so do it on a warm day.

The fuel burn is so clean the engine needs less servicing. The oil comes out the same colour it went in so possible to extend change interval.

The bug is the HT. Because LPG is dry it does not load the spark so the HT climbs much higher and can cause tracking. On my old system this can be in the distributor and leads. You will probably not have to worry about more than changing the plugs.

See on a thread in this section about using smaller plug gap.

And if you have valvesaver, just check it hasn't clogged. If it's like our set up it will have a little clear tube so you can see the drop rate. 8 drops a minute is sufficient. Of all things this could be the one to ensure it is working because if your valves begin to erode their seats you're in for a lot of remedial work.

Thinks that's all.

TomW Sep 20th, 2022 10:27

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the valve saver. How will I know if it's using enough fluid?

Joe Harding Sep 21st, 2022 08:22

On the right of the canister in both pictures is a clear tube with a knurled nut on the top. You need about 8 drops per min with the engine ticking over. If it's not dropping check the filter inside the canister or that the vacuum feed that draws it up isn't clogged.

TomW Sep 21st, 2022 08:32

Brilliant. I'll have a poke around and check things out.

Can anyone answer the rest of my points in my original post?

TomW Sep 25th, 2022 13:12

Is any harm done if I keep driving on lpg with the additive not working?
Is it essential to use the additive on my system?

amorlv70 Sep 28th, 2022 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomW (Post 2847008)
Is any harm done if I keep driving on lpg with the additive not working?
Is it essential to use the additive on my system?

I run a 2004 v70, same engine, with a BRC LPG conversion. I do not have any valve saver fitted- the installer did not put one in. As far as I am aware, it is not entirely necessary on these engines as the valves are 'harder' than that of japanese cars. I may be wrong, but I have had no issues with my car so far over 30k on LPG with no valve saver. Then again, there is no harm done having a valve saver kit fitted

classicswede Oct 2nd, 2022 22:05

Change to a known good fluid like Flashlube

CNGBiFuel Oct 18th, 2022 17:32

Installers of old. Most have long gone...

If 'Classic' hadn't chimed in, with a suggestion, I'd have it that Flashlube was not required? I run without, and the factory-fit run without. Then again, you have it fitted, and if you can get it to run, won't hurt will it? Thus carry on....

SnineT Oct 18th, 2022 20:38

Look up the area code it might be just that that has changed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Silv...hrome&ie=UTF-8