Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Fuel Flap (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321788)

P4 Nov 29th, 2021 09:04

Fuel Flap

The fuel flap on my P80 V70 doesn't open, no noise from the motor, nothing when the button on the door card is pulled. Before I start taking things apart does the motor work via a fuse/relay or is it direct?

CNGBiFuel Nov 29th, 2021 18:00

My lad fixed mine a while back, I'll ask him. It's at the point where at 15YO, he's a better auto-sparks than me. I don't knwo if this applies to stock cars, but on the BiFuel there's a proxy switch that stops the car starting with the filler-flap open.

If I recall he had the panel off and fitted a pull-release (wire) for next time.

amazondean Nov 30th, 2021 06:33

Yes, if you take the inner side panel off you can wrap a wire round a small lever on the mechanism and have a ring pull at the other end to pull if all else fails!

ITSv40 Nov 30th, 2021 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazondean (Post 2789259)
Yes, if you take the inner side panel off you can wrap a wire round a small lever on the mechanism and have a ring pull at the other end to pull if all else fails!

I would have thought that was a factory fitting. Both my C70 and V40 have those as standard.

NI_Volvo_Nut Nov 30th, 2021 09:09

I tried faulting one recently on an S70 and wasn't very successful, mainly due to someone adding a load of earth wires and I didn't want to spend the time trying to figure out someone elses bodge! However, there is a relay above the driver footwell, possibly a control box, never found it but could hear it. Power wasn't reaching the motor though.

I would first check your switch and then the fuse, on the S70 it shared a fuse for the boot lock, can't remember what else was on it.

DaveNP Nov 30th, 2021 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazondean (Post 2789259)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITSv40 (Post 2789267)
I would have thought that was a factory fitting. Both my C70 and V40 have those as standard.

It was factory fit on my 850 but not on the V70, I've not needed it on the V70 (yet, touch wood etc) but it seems odd that they stopped fitting it.

VolvoRoyS Nov 30th, 2021 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by P4 (Post 2788933)
The fuel flap on my P80 V70 doesn't open, no noise from the motor, nothing when the button on the door card is pulled. Before I start taking things apart does the motor work via a fuse/relay or is it direct?

In my experience this means that the central locking motor on this unit has failed. You can remove the interior trim and remove the unit and just do without it. That's what I have done. It might mean someone can siphon fuel out of your car but think that is harder to do these days but at least you can refuel the car.

Roy

4x4 Nov 30th, 2021 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by VolvoRoyS (Post 2789373)
...It might mean someone can siphon fuel out of your car but think that is harder to do these days ...

With great difficulty I managed to syphon a litre of petrol from the 850 for my lawnmower to save me a trip to the filling station. At the time I thought it was the easy option, but I won't be doing it again

DaveNP Nov 30th, 2021 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4 (Post 2789379)
With great difficulty I managed to syphon a litre of petrol from the 850 for my lawnmower to save me a trip to the filling station. At the time I thought it was the easy option, but I won't be doing it again

plus 1 to that :)
I have a pump and a long thin hose but when I tried to get some petrol from my V70 for my daughter to get home during the fuel crisis I found it easier to disconnect the fuel line from the injector rail and jumper the connections for the fuel pump relay and get it out that way.

CNGBiFuel Nov 30th, 2021 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNP (Post 2789389)
plus 1 to that :)
I have a pump and a long thin hose but when I tried to get some petrol from my V70 for my daughter to get home during the fuel crisis I found it easier to disconnect the fuel line from the injector rail and jumper the connections for the fuel pump relay and get it out that way.

+2 with that! Yes, mine was a Lidl oil-pump 'thingy'. Useless really. You could do this, and I have. I've had better moments. It'll be a long time before thieves syphon anything worth the effort from P80s.