Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Orange Care Key (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315658)

sdrennan Apr 1st, 2021 16:06

Orange Care Key

Just got my new V90 Momentum yesterday (Replacing my 3 year old one)
One major advantage is that the car now has electric Drivers seat with Memory. Really looking forward to this bit as my wife is 4'9" and I am 6'2"

Managed to use the key and save my profile but the other key they give you is the orange "Care" key and I cannot save to a profile.

If she sets up the car using the Orange key then the settings will stay the same when she opens next time but if I have to drive when using her key then we cannot get it back to the same settings without all the adjusting

Am I missing something?

Polestar Pete Apr 1st, 2021 16:51

I think you're supposed to have two "normal" keys, so where's the other one?

The red key is intended to be used by guests.

familymangreg Apr 1st, 2021 17:02

No, I think this is right, its something that annoys me a bit with my new car.

So with my previous XC90 I got two keys plus the activity key. With the new car I've got 1 normal key, one orange key and an activity key. The orange key as far as I can tell is next to useless, its there for the rare occasion that someone else drives my car and I don't want them to have the normal key (which I've always been happy for them to have in the past). I thought I could just use the orange key like a normal key, as I quite like the colour, but no, it can't be assigned to a driver profile, so no setting can be saved against it. I'm just going to have to use the normal key and the activity key, the activity key I like, but you can't use it to light the car when you're approaching in the dark etc..

Essentially, you only get one key now, and a waste of time orange key. I know you can buy additional keys, but I'm imagining they are not cheap, anyone know?

:wq

Polestar Pete Apr 1st, 2021 17:10

Jeez. So this makes a mockery of assigning profiles to keys unless you buy another key.

Capt109 Apr 1st, 2021 18:30

Speak to the supplying dealer, I got another standard key (no leather cover) as I raised it with the salesman during handover at a reduced price.

Cull06 Apr 1st, 2021 18:37

Can’t you manually choose a different profile in sensus then? When using orange key?

familymangreg Apr 1st, 2021 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cull06 (Post 2724532)
Can’t you manually choose a different profile in sensus then? When using orange key?

No I don’t believe so. Think it may be to prevent the orange key user accessing any profile for Spotify login etc stored under real profiles. It’s a waste of time, why Volvo should think it’s a necessity I shall never know.

js90 Apr 1st, 2021 19:38

It's just another one of their 'please stop dying in Volvos' strategies. I remember reading something in their blurb about it being for younger/inexperienced drivers as you can also set a speed limiter on that key.

They just don't want people who are unfamiliar with the cars doing something daft, crashing and being killed or seriously injured.

techwatcher Apr 1st, 2021 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by familymangreg (Post 2724500)
No, I think this is right, its something that annoys me a bit with my new car.

So with my previous XC90 I got two keys plus the activity key. With the new car I've got 1 normal key, one orange key and an activity key. The orange key as far as I can tell is next to useless, its there for the rare occasion that someone else drives my car and I don't want them to have the normal key (which I've always been happy for them to have in the past). I thought I could just use the orange key like a normal key, as I quite like the colour, but no, it can't be assigned to a driver profile, so no setting can be saved against it. I'm just going to have to use the normal key and the activity key, the activity key I like, but you can't use it to light the car when you're approaching in the dark etc..

Essentially, you only get one key now, and a waste of time orange key. I know you can buy additional keys, but I'm imagining they are not cheap, anyone know?

Yep, this is correct and we had the same problem. The orange key is essentially useless. The activity key WILL accept a driver profile but the activity key is designed to be sealed and the battery cannot easily be changed so that's not a long term solution.

You can buy a new key - my dealer quoted [drum roll...] £375

Cue the dealer having a bit of a think. A fair chunk of that cost is for a new key blade. However the key blade from the orange key can be swapped to the new key. Also there's a non-leather covered key available. Add a bit of discount for being a loyal customer and I think I paid c.£165 for the new key.

Director76 Apr 2nd, 2021 01:31

MY21.5 XC90 - you don’t even get the activity key anymore, just one proper one and the orange one.

Saving lives? Saving money more like...