Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   cruise control distance setting (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=331846)

davidwf15 Apr 2nd, 2023 00:22

cruise control distance setting

Is the distance setting (2022 V60 mild hybrid diesel) on the cruise control only available when the car is moving and CC is on?..... I tried "normal" cruise control recently ( I am not a fan) and it headed for the car in front at such a rate I had to cancel it for fear of ramming into it :eek:

Re-reading the manual it suggested the distance could be increased but when I tried the buttons did nothing although admittedly the CC was not active for the aforementioned reason!

deepsix Apr 2nd, 2023 08:34

I think that if you use standard cruise control from the centre screen (but why?) it is just a speed setting. Active cruise control from the steering wheel maintains whatever pre set distance as well as adjusting speed to car in front, so is much safer. Just be careful coming off motorway slip roads as car will speed up if nothing in front anymore :speechless-smiley-5

davidwf15 Apr 2nd, 2023 09:14

hmmm... I DID use the steering wheel buttons....

davidwf15 Apr 2nd, 2023 15:10

I fear I am missing something rather basic here.....
on the steering wheel, the left / right buttons select cruise or speed limiter...mention is made in the manual about setting something before they can be used and other replies indicate that I need to change comething in the centre display..... but what....and where....:confused_smile:

Maybe a start to stop list of what I ned to do / set / activate please

edit.... when starting the engine, I see a checklist of things in the display between the speedo and rev counter, all are green including cruise control

piorunz Apr 2nd, 2023 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidwf15 (Post 2887931)
Is the distance setting (2022 V60 mild hybrid diesel) on the cruise control only available when the car is moving and CC is on?..... I tried "normal" cruise control recently ( I am not a fan) and it headed for the car in front at such a rate I had to cancel it for fear of ramming into it :eek:

Re-reading the manual it suggested the distance could be increased but when I tried the buttons did nothing although admittedly the CC was not active for the aforementioned reason!

My car (model in the description) has three modes. Speed limit, CC and CC with lane keeping and start/stop in the traffic (this is called AutoPilot or something). If yours don't have autopilot, the rest will be the same anyway.

Each mode, when you activate it from deactivated position, will first just maintain the speed you just had. So if you are driving 33mph and then activate CC, if will continue cruising at 33 mph max. Speed target and distance is displayed in main driver display in front of you. Once you are in the mode, you can use joystick to: increase/decrease desired distance and increase/decrease desired speed (in 5 mph increments). You can also use left/right to upgrade or degrade mode, from left to right: speed limiting, cruise control, AutoPilot. When you change modes, speed limit and distance set previously does not change.

You can also deactivate a mode temporarily, and activate it again, according to conditions on the road, for example you want to smoothly decrease speed and regenerate battery, because you know CC will be breaking the car more sharply 10 seconds later if you don't slow down now. When you activate CC again from that position, it will delete previously set speed and apply your current speed as your new limit, for example 37mph or 43mph.
For me, this system is very intuitive, not worse from my previous Mazda6 Sport car when it comes to ease of use. And certainly much more advanced thanks to Autopilot mode.

MikeGMT Apr 2nd, 2023 16:25

If the car is so equipped there are two cruise control modes, 'Normal' and ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control). To select which one is active you have to go into the Centre Screen Function View and enable it, if ACC is selected a green bar will light up to show it is active, if there is no green light then Normal Cruise is active in which case the distance to the car ahead function does not work.

davidwf15 Apr 2nd, 2023 16:54

1 Attachment(s)
which icon am I looking for?

davidwf15 Apr 2nd, 2023 17:28

1 Attachment(s)
pretty sure it has distance cruise.... it has the lane guidance (which works) and all hell let loose when a van in front was turning off and it thought I was going to hit it (!!)

MikeGMT Apr 2nd, 2023 17:36

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidwf15 (Post 2888034)
which icon am I looking for?

Icon should be this.

Attachment 146951

davidwf15 Apr 2nd, 2023 17:38

Thanks Mike.... I dont seem to have said button on the display.....