Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   New intercooler - MPG increase (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318885)

MrJames Aug 2nd, 2021 10:55

New intercooler - MPG increase

Hello,

I replaced my intercooler on my S60 Euro3 the other day, I didn't realise just how bad it was! The poor thing had bowed on the top and bottom! :omg_smile:

How much difference can it really make? It feels like my instantaneous MPG readout is broken, does it take time for it to readjust?

Sitting at 60mph with cruise control on with a warmed up engine it was sitting around the 75mpg mark which I find hard to believe...

Kev0607 Aug 2nd, 2021 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJames (Post 2758944)
Hello,

I replaced my intercooler on my S60 Euro3 the other day, I didn't realise just how bad it was! The poor thing had bowed on the top and bottom! :omg_smile:

How much difference can it really make? It feels like my instantaneous MPG readout is broken, does it take time for it to readjust?

Sitting at 60mph with cruise control on with a warmed up engine it was sitting around the 75mpg mark which I find hard to believe...

Go off your average mpg, not instantaneous. Even then, I’d take the readings with a pinch of salt. Its very rare that they’re bang on accurate.

MrJames Aug 2nd, 2021 11:58

Yea I know it's not that accurate but for reference before it was sitting around 50-55mpg under the same scenario before the intercooler was replaced, it was more of a curiosity if the intercooler not leaking air really makes that big of a difference in MPG?

stuart bowes Aug 2nd, 2021 13:30

did you used to do accurate mpg calculations before the work? as in, fuel receipt, actual mileage, etc

would be interesting to know if that has changed over a week or so of driving.. but like you say if it needs to recalculate fueling or something it might be that it takes a few drive cycles so maybe don't use this week as it might be misleading

Georgeandkira Aug 2nd, 2021 13:38

I'd bet it would but you need only record the simplest of data to know your mileage with accuracy.

Mileage on the odometer, volume of fuel, cost. Other people include a date for every entry.

Start and end a chosen time period with a fill-up. Pick weekly as you're changing things. I use monthly for my car and bimonthly for the truck as it's driven less.

Total the mileage by subtracting previous mileage from that of your last fill-up.
Total the fuel volume by adding them up. Omit the fuel purchase for the fill-up starting your time period. The first fill-up of the week or month is your "mileage zero".

Hard math is the only way to know. Fortunately it's easy math.

Kev0607 Aug 2nd, 2021 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJames (Post 2758957)
Yea I know it's not that accurate but for reference before it was sitting around 50-55mpg under the same scenario before the intercooler was replaced, it was more of a curiosity if the intercooler not leaking air really makes that big of a difference in MPG?

It should make a difference for sure, but 20-25mpg better off seems a bit excessive.