Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   VST Volvo System Tester needed (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315745)

NickP Apr 4th, 2021 11:11

VST Volvo System Tester needed

Does anybody have, or know anybody who has a VST tool? I need to manually operate one of the motors on my C70s roof mechanism, which unfortunately isn't possible from VIDA.

I'm in Sheffield. The car is currently stuck in my garage and I can't drive it as the roof is stuck half open and I can't manually operate the roof due to the roof cover blocking the boot from opening (the manual override is accessed via the boot). I would need to be able to borrow the tool for a few hours.

I have DM'd outnumbered, but in case he's not able to help, I'm curious if anyone else has one.

Thanks.

https://www.samstagsales.com/volvo/Volvo_HandHeld.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Kk0A58W.jpg

acshortt5 Apr 4th, 2021 13:29

Try clearing the fault codes using Vida then turn the ignition off, wait 30 seconds then turn back on and try the roof buttons again.

Is the battery charged up, just thinking if it's a car that's been stood for a while it might have gotten low and the current draw from trying the roof put it over the edge? If the ECU doesn't see 12v then you can potentially get all sorts of fault codes.

NickP Apr 4th, 2021 13:40

Yeah, I tried that. Unfortunately it seems that once secondary code CAB-120 gets set, even once the primary codes (CAB-212 and CAB-214) were cleared (and they're not coming back at the moment), the roof won't move. It's extremely frustrating.

I disconnected the battery for a few minutes too.

The battery has been connected to a CTEK conditioner all winter.

I need to get the roof closed or to the "defined position". It's so annoying not being able to get to the manual control in the boot.

NickP Apr 4th, 2021 13:55

Actually, per VIDA...

'A defined position is the convertible top in closed position; front lock open; tensioner bow upwards; cover lock open and cover open in maximum position.'

I've currently got the tensioner bow upwards the cover lock open and cover open in maximum position.

I need to check the status of the front lock with VIDA. If it's not open, I can manually open that using the manual override under the panel in the front of the hood.

UPDATE

Manually opened the front lock and observed the microswitch value change in VIDA. Tried resetting codes and turning off and on a couple more times, but CAB-120 and CAB-121 for the invalid position keep coming back as soon as I touch the roof switch again.

Simmy Apr 4th, 2021 15:49

there is a guy who is a member of volvo owners club northwest uk called paul mountain who is good with volvo convertable tops contact him via the group or by facebook.

NickP Apr 8th, 2021 15:21

I've still not managed to track down a working VST or Autodiagnos MT Pro.

I've found one broken VST at a local main dealer. And a company in America who can repair broken VSTs.

At this rate I'm going to end up having to go nuclear and take an angle grinder to the boot lid.

ITSv40 Apr 8th, 2021 16:14

As previously posted, Paul Mountain on Facebook is pretty good with roof problems and has sorted many folks roof out. This is not a personal recommendation, just an observation from the roofs he has sorted. It may be a better alternative to an angle grinder :)

acshortt5 Apr 8th, 2021 17:30

It would be a long winded way of doing things but could you:

1) Remove roof cover to enable the bootlid to be opened.

2) Remove bootlid and reinstall roof cover so access to manual controls is possible and roof position can be altered.

3) Once roof position is sorted and car can be driven out/repositioned reinstall bootlid?

Will your local dealer not come out to you with a VST? While I am well known by my local dealer (I'm in Wakefield) I really doubt they'd be willing to lend me their one over a weekend but I could ask.

NickP Apr 8th, 2021 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITSv40 (Post 2726914)
As previously posted, Paul Mountain on Facebook is pretty good with roof problems and has sorted many folks roof out. This is not a personal recommendation, just an observation from the roofs he has sorted. It may be a better alternative to an angle grinder :)

I got the impression it was Mk2 C70s he was into?

Also, I'd have to join Facebook. I'm honestly more likely to angle grind a hole in my boot lid than that. :regular_smile:

NickP Apr 8th, 2021 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by acshortt5 (Post 2726941)
It would be a long winded way of doing things but could you:

1) Remove roof cover to enable the bootlid to be opened.

2) Remove bootlid and reinstall roof cover so access to manual controls is possible and roof position can be altered.

3) Once roof position is sorted and car can be driven out/repositioned reinstall bootlid?

Will your local dealer not come out to you with a VST? While I am well known by my local dealer (I'm in Wakefield) I really doubt they'd be willing to lend me their one over a weekend but I could ask.

I think there's quite a bit of scope for accidentally causing damage / alignment problems by removing the cover? I'd need a good assistant too.

Nearest dealer's (Chesterfield) is broken. The Sheffield dealer on Penistone road is only just over a year old, so I think are unlikely to have one. I'll double check tomorrow though.

Wakefield's not far at all. I'd be very happy to pay for the use of it and give them a hefty deposit. It's just the weirdness of request isn't it- well outside the bounds of how they normally operate.