Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Turning off the Headlights... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=121522)

Jabe Apr 7th, 2011 23:49

Turning off the Headlights...

Does anyone have an idea on how to completely turn off the headlights? Their always on no matter which setting you select. (with the ignition on):

0 = ignition on = full beam
I = ignition on/off = low, dim beam
II = ignition on/off = full beam

Is this a permanent feature with the T4, or is there a way to turn it off while driving during the day? Thanks.

Thom12 Apr 8th, 2011 00:10

I thought day running lights were a permanant thing on all 'modern' volvo's. I've noticed a few of the newer S40's and V50's with the headlamps off though. Not sure how it's achieved.

Jabe Apr 8th, 2011 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thom12 (Post 880821)
I thought day running lights were a permanant thing on all 'modern' volvo's. I've noticed a few of the newer S40's and V50's with the headlamps off though. Not sure how it's achieved.

Oh. To be honest, I don't mind the low dim setting (II) the thing that annoys me the most is when I get out of the car I forget to set it back to 0 so the dim lights stay on and don't turn off. (battery drainage.)

Thom12 Apr 8th, 2011 00:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabe (Post 880829)
Oh. To be honest, I don't mind the low dim setting (II) the thing that annoys me the most is when I get out of the car I forget to set it back to 0 so the dim lights stay on and don't turn off. (battery drainage.)

Yep, done that a few times. A right pain in the rectum. I just leave them on O now. Driving up and down the motorway often and i feel a little more 'seen' with them on.

Had a quick google on it. A lot of people suggest some random cutting of wires, or to turn some dials and flash some lights but the best advice seems to be go to the dealer and get it done. Might cost a bit though(?) Someone will probably have a better way :-)

matt_pc Apr 8th, 2011 07:46

There is a proceedure that works for Volvos after 2000 - copied this from another thread. Give it a go, it might work for you if your lucky.

to on/off DRL

put light switch to the Center position , (sidelights > Green LED ON)
Switch ignition key to position II (Drive, but Do Not start the engine)
Pull Main beam lever towards you and Hold it there,
Turn light switch to 0
release main beam lever

DRL should now be "OFF"

To turn them back On for winter / murky days do the Same steps.

If that doesnt work Main dealer is your only other option.

Ian Mc Apr 9th, 2011 06:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt_pc (Post 880882)
There is a proceedure that works for Volvos after 2000 - copied this from another thread. Give it a go, it might work for you if your lucky.

to on/off DRL

Turn light switch to 0
release main beam lever

DRL should now be "OFF"

I want to have your babies.....................

Rossi-fan Apr 9th, 2011 07:26

I take it that it worked eh. Wonder if it'll work on my S60?

Clan Apr 9th, 2011 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt_pc (Post 880882)

to on/off DRL

Turn light switch to 0
release main beam lever

DRL should now be "OFF"

Yes thats in the owners manual for 2000 and later S40 .. up to 2000 you cant turn them off.

T4Rick Apr 9th, 2011 10:05

There must be away of doing it for the phase 1 s40:thumbs_up:

Dog_Book Apr 9th, 2011 20:39

THERE id not unless you modify the switch housing, when you find out let me know :P