Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   x40 S1 Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   V40 gearbox input shaft housing (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315384)

Handclutch Mar 23rd, 2021 10:03

V40 gearbox input shaft housing

I have a 1999 1.8 litre V40 with a collapsed thrust bearing. It will need a new clutch which is available here in Australia, but it also needs a new gearbox input shaft housing (that the thrust bearing slides on). The old one was badly damaged when a finger broke on the pressure plate and Volvo can't supply them any more. Apparently, they were discontinued several years ago.

None are available from breakers here because most S40s/V40s were autos.

Any suggestions for NOS parts, or recommendations on UK breakers?

Jack

Clan Mar 23rd, 2021 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handclutch (Post 2721305)
I have a 1999 1.8 litre V40 with a collapsed thrust bearing. It will need a new clutch which is available here in Australia, but it also needs a new gearbox input shaft housing (that the thrust bearing slides on). The old one was badly damaged when a finger broke on the pressure plate and Volvo can't supply them any more. Apparently, they were discontinued several years ago.

None are available from breakers here because most S40s/V40s were autos.

Any suggestions for NOS parts, or recommendations on UK breakers?

Jack

if you have the renault gearbox you should be able to find one of those a lot more easily ..

Handclutch Mar 23rd, 2021 21:31

Thanks, Clan, appreciate the advice. I’ll check with my mechanic. It’s the non-turbo’d version.

Jack

Handclutch Mar 23rd, 2021 21:42

Clan, if it is a Renault box what models would it be fitted to? Renault has never been big in Australia but their parts supply might be better than Volvo. Need to know what to ask for. Thanks again.

Jack

Clan Mar 23rd, 2021 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handclutch (Post 2721567)
Clan, if it is a Renault box what models would it be fitted to? Renault has never been big in Australia but their parts supply might be better than Volvo. Need to know what to ask for. Thanks again.

Jack

lots of renaults used that gearbox around the late 80's and 90's assuming it is a renault gearbox with the big black metal cover on the end near the wheel which houses the 5th gear .... some S/V40's used the decent volvo gearbox from the big cars ..

Handclutch Mar 24th, 2021 22:25

Clan, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. It has a Renault part number on it which allowed me to track down a new one in the UK.

Jack

Clan Mar 24th, 2021 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handclutch (Post 2721922)
Clan, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. It has a Renault part number on it which allowed me to track down a new one in the UK.

Jack

you might find it comes out from the inside if i remember correctly . The gearchange shaft seal was like that too on the early Renault gearboxes .

bimmer49 Mar 27th, 2021 20:30

IRC1.8's all had Renault J5C gear boxes but they are number specific. Volvo use hydraulics and Renault a cable for the clutch operation.