Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Fifth Gear Crash Test Next Week (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=43417)

James_N Sep 3rd, 2007 23:16

Fifth Gear Crash Test Next Week

Hi

For those of you not watching Fifth Gear tonight, Next week, they are going to see how an older bigger car, stands up to a newer smaller car.

For the older, Bigger car, Obviously this is going to be a a volvo 940 estate :D

Thought id give all you volvo fans a quick heads up for next week!

Will be interesting to see the outcome.

Jim760 Sep 3rd, 2007 23:18

agreed! this i sgoing to be great, i shal be watching! :)
they really should test a 700/900 aginst a new volvo, i bet it would be a surprising result

Mike1967 Sep 3rd, 2007 23:19

Thanks James will have to watch that for sure .

cumbrianmale Sep 4th, 2007 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_N (Post 284511)
Hi

For those of you not watching Fifth Gear tonight, Next week, they are going to see how an older bigger car, stands up to a newer smaller car.

For the older, Bigger car, Obviously this is going to be a a volvo 940 estate :D

Thought id give all you volvo fans a quick heads up for next week!

Will be interesting to see the outcome.

Any indication what the newer car might be?

James_N Sep 4th, 2007 00:23

Copied from a website:

Quote:

The team crashes a 15-year-old Volvo 940 estate – for many people the epitome of a solid and safe family car – into a three-year-old Renault Modus, notable as the first small car to earn a maximum five star safety rating from the European New Car Assessment Program (Euro NCAP). Which car will emerge in one piece? The surprising results show that only one of the drivers would have stood a strong chance of survival.

Jim760 Sep 4th, 2007 00:54

this IS going to be intresting!

CTCNetwork Sep 4th, 2007 01:48

Hi,

There they go, wrecking perfectly serviceable 940's again!!

No harm wrecking the renault though.. :lol:

Alot of new cars are designed to do well on this test. It doesn't always follow the car is actually safe in real-life experiences though.. :)

Des. . . ;)

JIM C Sep 4th, 2007 05:54

The outcome will be interesting, new technology against Volvo mass.

John_C Sep 4th, 2007 08:14

The Renault isn't as light as I thought, even the lightest Modus with the tiny 1.2 petrol engine weighs in at 1.1 tonnes kerb weight whereas a 940 with a smallish petrol engine is about 1500kg so the mass isn't as different as you might think. Still a pretty big difference mind you! It also depends what model of 940 they use, if they use a diesel estate apparently that weighs in at 2000kg-ish so that would be a challenge for the Modus ;)

It will be interesting, how old is the Volvo they're going to use and does it have airbags or not, etc, etc. The only way to know for sure is to do it, but it's not like it's going to *tell* anyone anything other than what happens when one specific model hits another specific model. There are just too many variables to draw any conclusion about general "old vs new" safety from this sort of test.

Personally I reckon the Renault will probably win, like I said it's not *that* small and the design is 15ish years newer so you'd hope things would have moved on a bit ;)

Cheers,
John

JSeaman Sep 4th, 2007 09:15

My guess is that the occupants of the Renault will find their car completely destroyed due to crumple zones etc but the volvo driver will have injuries. What I'd love to see is the volvo driving straight through the Renault so we can all feel nice and safe :)