Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   ICM Failure (again) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=320010)

SkipjackUK Sep 17th, 2021 19:23

ICM Failure (again)

My ICM failed about 18 months ago, after living without it for a few months I got it repaired by Lucas at Volvo diagnostics back in July last year.

Today it packed up :(

so options are getting it repaired again by VD (who gave great service and turn around last time) or

get a replacement used one from the bay as the second-hand unit seem to be circa £70 these days?

Does anyone know if they can be swapped like for like if the part number is the same and or year?

ta

Harley Dave Sep 17th, 2021 20:25

Doesn't Lucas/z give a warranty?

Cheers

Dave

Clan Sep 17th, 2021 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkipjackUK (Post 2771372)
My ICM failed about 18 months ago, after living without it for a few months I got it repaired by Lucas at Volvo diagnostics back in July last year.

Today it packed up :(

so options are getting it repaired again by VD (who gave great service and turn around last time) or

get a replacement used one from the bay as the second-hand unit seem to be circa £70 these days?

Does anyone know if they can be swapped like for like if the part number is the same and or year?

ta

the problem is they heat up and cool down each day and after 10 years or more solder connections crack due the expansion and contraction . If it was mine i would rig up a small fan to blow cool air from the heater through the unit somehow

SkipjackUK Sep 18th, 2021 06:31

Yeah, will get in touch and see. Hoping (a XC90 owners trait) that it might come back to life again today as last time it failed it was a bit temperamental before it completely packed in, like Clan says it's Temperature Related so hoping the overnight cool down has helped...

john langrick Sep 18th, 2021 07:46

Hi, Volvo diagnostics do give a lifetime warranty. Mine did have to be looked at again after about three years.
If you give lucasz a ring with your vin, he will prepare one ready for you and swap it out.

Cheers

SkipjackUK Sep 18th, 2021 13:22

Thanks

Seems to be back working today. Didn't work when I started this morning but after running around doing a few errands with AC on it came back to life after I filled up at petrol station.

I wonder how long it will last :)

SkipjackUK Sep 19th, 2021 11:48

seems to have sorted itself out, must have done about 20 or so starts over weekend and been working fine :)

hey ho

miccheck1516 Nov 11th, 2021 19:39

Had this issue also on on I just bought. considered getting mine repaired but didn’t want a gaping hole for the time it was away, got one on eBay with the same hardware part number and it went right in and works grand!

So pleased, used it as leverage to get a decent discount when buying a few weeks ago. For the price I paid I could buy 3 before a repair would make more sense…..

SkipjackUK Dec 10th, 2021 11:28

the cold weather has affected this again. cold morning it does not work until after a good 15 minutes of running the engine with AC on full heat. once the back of the ICM is warmed up, restart the engine and it seems to come back to life again.

guess it's solder on ICM? looks like I will send it off again to Lucas to fix it again.

besides this, my 2003 is running like a dream, mainly thanks to all the maintenance and assistance cheshired5 gives me :)