Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   XC60 spacesaver tyre size? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=197697)

Schnorbitz Jan 26th, 2014 22:16

XC60 spacesaver tyre size?

Can anyone with a XC60 fitted with the Tempa spacesaver spare wheel confirm the tyre size for me?

I keep hearing 125/80 R17 but that can't be correct as the overall diameter is a lot smaller than the full size wheel. You'd wreck the Haldex in a few miles, surely?

Andyj007 Jan 26th, 2014 22:26

had to drive our xc 60 with the space saver on for a few miles after a puncture.
never ever again. completely unsafe and dangerous.
have told the wife to never even attempt it.
i consider myself a good driver who dabbles in racing cars, and honestly, it was not pleAsant. the handling was atrocious.20 mph max
shame on you volvo..
will check the size tomorrow for you.
cheers

Brodick Jan 26th, 2014 22:30

I will need to double check

I was sure it was 225/80 R17

I haven't needed to use it on this car but I did on my previous XC60 and had no issues with the Haldex system. right enough it was only on for 10 miles
I was able to travel at 30/40mph without too much of a problem

volvorocks Jan 26th, 2014 22:43

T 125/80 R 17 99M

Ever driven on a space saver? An experience to be savoured if you enjoy dicing with danger....!!!! Should carry a 10mph max speed warning!!! Or even better drive in hill descent mode which is slower!!!

Regards

volvorocks Jan 26th, 2014 22:47

I may be wrong although I believe the haldex takes into account different size tyres - not like on a Jeep where all wheels and treads have to be the same.

Regards

Crockers Jan 27th, 2014 07:23

When I was younger I shuttled cars for Hertz in USA. Great fun if a "donut" was fitted. Could leave long single lines on take off if fitted to driving wheels.

Rather have a temps than gue but surely the car should have been designed to carry a full size spare too if wanted.

wimorrison Jan 27th, 2014 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crockers (Post 1568864)
When I was younger I shuttled cars for Hertz in USA. Great fun if a "donut" was fitted. Could leave long single lines on take off if fitted to driving wheels.

Rather have a temps than gue but surely the car should have been designed to carry a full size spare too if wanted.

Not a hope in hell of meeting emissions regulations if they stick in a full size spare wheel, like driving around with a concrete block in the boot. That is also the reason they went to the gunk, to get rid of the weight of the space saver. They can get round the emissions of the weight from the space saver by testing the car with the gunk and saying that that is the design, you are adding the tyre therefore not part of tested design ;)

I agree driving on them is interesting, but that will be why they limit the speed that you can drive on them and also the distance.

844PHW Jan 27th, 2014 09:21

The lack of storage space for a fullsize spare wheel is the only thing I have against the xc60. I have a spacesaver spare which I used once, but I was rather nervous about it. Don't get me started, there is a whole thread about this somewhere.

Whyman Jan 27th, 2014 10:09

I had to drive my E class estate on a space saver. No problems up to the recommended 50 mph. Just set the cruise control and relaxed.

If your was a problem then it may be that the pressure in your spare was down. It is normally much higher than the standard pressure.

tompip Jan 28th, 2014 21:23

hi, what is the recommended pressure for the space saver tyre