Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   no start xc70 d5 185bhp (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316625)

jim jordan May 6th, 2021 19:19

no start xc70 d5 185bhp

just replaced swirl flaps cleaned out cam cover/egr/throttle well coked up,new fuel pump as last owner had red diesel in it grr,20 quid of new diesel in new fuel filter full service ,new starter and battery and still no start,cranks over bit slow i think or could just be me,checked fuel pipes to injectors yep fuel coming out them,i can only think it needs either some easy start to get it running or i have injector problems just got an injector leak off tester,1 question there tho do you clamp off the return pipes when i'm testing will have to be cranked on starter as it wont fire up,had vida plugged in and only code i got is the usual air sensor i'm baffled otherwise at the min anyone got any other ideas be much appreciated :)

Bashy May 7th, 2021 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim jordan (Post 2734842)
just replaced swirl flaps cleaned out cam cover/egr/throttle well coked up,new fuel pump as last owner had red diesel in it grr,20 quid of new diesel in new fuel filter full service ,new starter and battery and still no start,cranks over bit slow i think or could just be me,checked fuel pipes to injectors yep fuel coming out them,i can only think it needs either some easy start to get it running or i have injector problems just got an injector leak off tester,1 question there tho do you clamp off the return pipes when i'm testing will have to be cranked on starter as it wont fire up,had vida plugged in and only code i got is the usual air sensor i'm baffled otherwise at the min anyone got any other ideas be much appreciated :)

Yep, clamp off return, i made the mistake of not doing so.....

jim jordan May 7th, 2021 19:46

well did a leak off best i could as it wont start and after about 36-40 secounds battery was slowly dieing on me guess vida killed it lol,but all i got was 2/3/4 and 5 had fuel in the pipes to containers and number 1 had full tube and starting to cover bottem of container that injector was also blowing bubbles around where it goes in guess not sealing right,i'm beginning to think maby dpf is blocked or some part and it just can not start,oh and the swirl flap motor just wirls away but nothing moves any thoughts anyone

cheshired5 May 8th, 2021 00:57

With Vida, a correctly mounted and leak free set of injectors and ideally a freshly charged battery, check RPM and fuel rail pressure during cranking.
You want around 180+ rpm and 150000-200000 hpa minimum or it will never start.

Injector 1 is sounding very suspicious right now.

jim jordan May 8th, 2021 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2735139)
With Vida, a correctly mounted and leak free set of injectors and ideally a freshly charged battery, check RPM and fuel rail pressure during cranking.
You want around 180+ rpm and 150000-200000 hpa minimum or it will never start.

Injector 1 is sounding very suspicious right now.

fuel pressure is well above that think it was 350000 somthing like that yer number one is suspicious dont seem to have enough umpth spinning over with a fresh battery compared to my 163bhp xc90,almost like it's restricted,new starter on it too and earths all cleaned up,the egr/manifold/and throtle was coked up and swirl flaps new flaps in now as well,the last owner apparently had it on red derv the **** as i had to empty half a tank out and replace in tank pump that died,my thoughts were as i have i think checked most things that dpf is choked solid and causing a restriction were it just can not go bit like blocking the end of your exhaust

cheshired5 May 8th, 2021 12:01

Vida will give you an accurate rpm too confirm cranking speed and you can view DPF sensor data too if you're suspecting that.

jim jordan May 8th, 2021 13:32

battery on charge at the min and it's chucking it down of rain so prob check rpm and soot content if i can as it only cranks but not start

jim jordan May 9th, 2021 19:58

jacked it up today and found some **** has been at dpf with an angle grinder and welder grrr

cheshired5 May 9th, 2021 20:02

Has the car ever run in your ownership or did you buy it as a non-runner?

jim jordan May 9th, 2021 20:09

non runner