Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   S60 Stereo/DVD: (and V70) - Software Driven Electronics - eBay users beware! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=40948)

Clan Jan 14th, 2008 18:23

Nope , just like the used remotes for S 60 V70 and S 80 you see on e-bay ..

The throttle unit linked above worked on another car because it was the later 2003 - BOSCH unit which doesnt have Software which the Magneti-Marelli one does..

2003V70 Jan 24th, 2008 17:11

First post!

Hello there all, what a great forum - very useful to a first time Volvo owner like myself!

I recently bought my cousin's 2004 V70S 170 after a couple of years coveting it from afar. Unfortunately, he has somehow managed to lose both the service key and the spare electronic fob.

I was about to buy a secondhand fob off ebay to take to the dealership for re-cutting + re-programming until I read this thread. :err:

How much am I looking at for a new fob and service key? I could live without the spare fob if necessary, just scared of losing/breaking my existing fob and then having no way of getting in.

XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO Feb 13th, 2008 02:52

I have a 2001 V70 explod and have a stereo off ebay HU-603 to be exact fitted in the car and it works fine including all the lighting and displays

So don`t believe everything that volvo tell you

Cheers

stuart

$hed Feb 13th, 2008 22:03

ive changed head units in both my p2 v70s from hu-605s to hu-803s with amps and center speakers all that was needed was a fuse for the amps. and worked fine all stearing wheel functions worked
and when put on a ppc dionostic reader it had codes telling me what i had installed

XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO Feb 13th, 2008 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by $hed (Post 368584)
ive changed head units in both my p2 v70s from hu-605s to hu-803s with amps and center speakers all that was needed was a fuse for the amps. and worked fine all stearing wheel functions worked
and when put on a ppc dionostic reader it had codes telling me what i had installed

That`s just what i`m about to do to mine although i won`t have the steering wheel functions as mines still the bog standard wheel

Cheers

stuart

johnroses80 Sep 26th, 2008 09:32

just read this thread with interest as i have a problem with my stereo ( hu-601 cd not working) and was going to buy a secind hand one. just a thought if the dealers can not over write the original software how do they change one of these units if it fails under warranty???, surely there has to be a way otherwise you would have lots of new cars running about with stereo"s and other software items not working, or have i missed something. cheers john

Clan Sep 26th, 2008 20:36

The exchange ones come blank so they accept the software for your particular car .
Interesting how some radios seem to work properly in a different car , the few i have tried certainly didn't ie , no display and no steering wheel controls .. Beware if you have a software download for any thing else on the car and the volvo computer in sweden finds a module with unrecognised software ie non-matching , the car could loose all the electrics and need an expensive visit to the dealer ... the main volvo computer in sweden knows which serial numbers each module is supposed to have on every single volvo made from 1999 ...

tykey Dec 8th, 2008 18:26

So if I replace the radio with a new MP3 player, do the lights go out?

Clan Dec 8th, 2008 18:55

no not at all , only the radio display wont work . Before you fit your radio there is a software available which "removes" the radio , making it safe to do what you want , ie the car and main computer in Sweden will know that it doesnt have a volvo radio any more so no problems will develop ...

tykey Dec 8th, 2008 19:23

Thanks,Clan:thumbs_up: