Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Engine: 850 T5/R Cambelt Change (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325394)

cyclogenesis May 12th, 2022 13:43

Cambelt Change

Just in the process of ordering a cambelt kit from Volvo and the dealer said that on the early types, the tensioner is only changed if it is leaking, which is why they sell them separately. Is this correct?

Just for the record I have ordered one anyway, belt and braces

ITSv40 May 12th, 2022 16:01

The early tensioners are basically a hydraulic ram that puts pressure on the tensioner pulley to keep the belt tensioned. When replacing the timing belt the piston in the tensioner needs to be SLOWLY pushed back in and temporarily locked with a pin. Once the new belt is on, the pin is removed and the tensioner then tensions the belt. So unless the tensioner is leaking no need to change. Later tensioners are spring loaded and need changing with the belt.

CosmicBike May 12th, 2022 17:13

Exactly that^^. The later ones need a means of removing the tension and allowing you to put a restraining pin in place, IIRC it's a 19mm square drive, but I got away with a 1/2" ratchet handle locked in with an allen key alongside it.

volvo again May 12th, 2022 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicBike (Post 2823905)
Exactly that^^. The later ones need a means of removing the tension and allowing you to put a restraining pin in place, IIRC it's a 19mm square drive, but I got away with a 1/2" ratchet handle locked in with an allen key alongside it.

I think you maybe getting confused with the auxilliary (serpentine) belt tensioner...cambelt tensioner requires an allen key and spanner

4x4 May 12th, 2022 19:14

This is the cam belt tensioner and how to reset it. I would recommend using a vice rather than the C-clamp in the video CLICK

RollingThunder May 15th, 2022 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis (Post 2823870)
Just in the process of ordering a cambelt kit from Volvo and the dealer said that on the early types, the tensioner is only changed if it is leaking, which is why they sell them separately. Is this correct?

I do exactly this, and for the same reason - the cambelt tensioner is a critical part, so I always change it when changing the cambelt.

CosmicBike May 15th, 2022 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo again (Post 2823923)
I think you maybe getting confused with the auxilliary (serpentine) belt tensioner...cambelt tensioner requires an allen key and spanner

You're quite right, I did them both at the same time...

Clan May 15th, 2022 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis (Post 2823870)

Yes the tensioner is "bomb proof" as they say and not routinely changed . if you take one apart and look at it you will see why.