Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Amazon: Lowering springs (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317479)

packers1712 Jun 8th, 2021 21:30

Lowering springs

Good evening all,

There is a member on here with a car set of lowering springs for an Amazon but unfortunately he doesn't know how much they lower by but he has given me some free lengths, is there anyone on here that would know how much lower they'd be from free lengths?

Fronts = 10 3/4 inches (273mm)

Rears = 13 3/4 inches ( 350mm)

Thanks guys, Doug.

Volvo_133 Jun 9th, 2021 13:24

Springs

Hi Doug,
Not a direct answer but this is the only info I have from lowering mine.
Standard front spring 300mm long 8.75 coils, 14mm wire.
Standard rear long? 10.7 coils, 11.8mm wire.
To lower my front by 40mm there are 6.75 coils and 240mm long to the front.
As you probably know, there is a lot more to springs than their free length.
A few points to consider having been there; Mine is lowered 40mm all round.. I have fitted Gaz adjustable shocks.

Your mudflaps trailing on the road, I have had to remove mine.
Too low to clear when going over speed humps.
Headlights to adjust.
I have also had to remove my swan neck type tow bar.
I can no longer reverse up my normal ramps without driving onto a house brick first.
Personally I would not lower it more than 40mm.
Mine came from classicswede a member on here, I am very pleased with the cars stance and also the handling is now like a go cart, without compromising the comfort.
Chris

packers1712 Jun 9th, 2021 14:50

Hi Chris,

Thanks all information is appreciated, I had asked about lowering Amazon's on here a little while back and based on all of the variables sort of backed away from the idea and accepted that standard ride height was probably fine, then saw photos on the forum from Bicester of lowered cars and reignited the fire!
As you correctly point out there is much more to it than simply calculating lowered height based on free lengths, but based on your numbers I suspect the springs for sale on here are probably 20-25mm lower similar to the ones Amazon cars offer.
Have you fitted an adjustable panhard link too then?

Doug.

Volvo_133 Jun 9th, 2021 20:37

Springs

No, just the springs and dampers.

Burdekin Jun 10th, 2021 07:36

Doug,

Have a chat with Doug Flynn, he has experimented with a couple of ride heights: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1040576535987767

Also Ahmet on the group, maybe ask him directly if you have any questions. Ahmet's car is amazing if you haven't seen it, understated but superbly setup and finished. Best resto-mod Amazon in the UK I reckon and he talks sense.

XC90Mk1 Jun 10th, 2021 07:44

Interesting question. The trouble is it’s not really the free length that dictates how low they go. It’s the installed length, hence 20% shorter free length, but updated 20% will see the same ride height.

I really think the only way to know would be to fit them.

Damoyorkie Aug 28th, 2021 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo_133 (Post 2744042)
Mine came from classicswede a member on here, I am very pleased with the cars stance and also the handling is now like a go cart, without compromising the comfort.
Chris

Absolutely agree with Chris. I’ve just fitted the 40 mm drop progressive springs and Protech shocks from Classic Swede, and rebushed everything including the engine mounts, on my son’s 122s. It is night and day, from how the car handled on the previous set up.

It is an absolute joy to put through twisty country roads up here.

And an honourable mention to Dai, at Classic Swede. What an extremely knowledgeable, superbly helpful bloke, and unlike one of the other suppliers, will answer the phone !

classicswede Aug 29th, 2021 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burdekin (Post 2744239)
Doug,

Have a chat with Doug Flynn, he has experimented with a couple of ride heights: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1040576535987767

Also Ahmet on the group, maybe ask him directly if you have any questions. Ahmet's car is amazing if you haven't seen it, understated but superbly setup and finished. Best resto-mod Amazon in the UK I reckon and he talks sense.

Doug started on 100mm and then switched to 60mm lowering. Ahmet is on 60mm lowering with the amazon and 40mm I think for his 1800 build.

classicswede Aug 29th, 2021 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damoyorkie (Post 2765976)
Absolutely agree with Chris. I’ve just fitted the 40 mm drop progressive springs and Protech shocks from Classic Swede, and rebushed everything including the engine mounts, on my son’s 122s. It is night and day, from how the car handled on the previous set up.

It is an absolute joy to put through twisty country roads up here.

And an honourable mention to Dai, at Classic Swede. What an extremely knowledgeable, superbly helpful bloke, and unlike one of the other suppliers, will answer the phone !

Thanks for the plug.

40mm for cost cars is the best balance of looks handling and day to day driving. The main thing is to consider your use and select the right springs. 100mm lowering is fine if the look is most important thing for you but if you want to go fast down farm tracks then a 25mm lift would be the springs of choice.

Bracpan Aug 29th, 2021 23:25

I run 60mm lowering springs from Classicswede and get over sleeping policemen with no problems, the front mudflaps do rub on them a bit on the bumps but i've left them on
I've also played around with the Gaz shocks and found a comfortable setting.
The car looks a lot better lowed and im running 6" wide wheels on the front and 7" on the rear (Revolution Alloys ) with no rubbing issues at all.