Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Volvo Car Press Releases (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Volvo Car Corporation achieves a profit for the third quarte (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108197)

Bob Oct 31st, 2010 11:30

Volvo Car Corporation achieves a profit for the third quarte

Volvo Car Corporation achieves an operating profit for the third quarter. The volume growth of 12.5 percent to 272,555 retail sales units year-to-date September is the result of a strong product portfolio and market strategies delivering results in all sales regions

Click here to read the full report

GMad Oct 31st, 2010 13:41

Just goes to show both the Americans and the Chinese, do actually know what they're doing!!

nomashedswede Nov 4th, 2010 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMad (Post 768533)
Just goes to show both the Americans and the Chinese, do actually know what they're doing!!

Not sure about that one - Ford`s money transformed Volvo (as a business), and the same can be said of Jaguar, Aston Martin and, to a lesser extent, Land Rover. Their legacy to these manufacturers has been good, commercially viable products and much improved production processes. Compare that to the mess GM left at Saab !
My worry is do the Chinese and Tata have the expertise and experience to continue where Ford left off ? Time will tell.

GMad Nov 4th, 2010 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomashedswede (Post 771301)
Not sure about that one - Ford`s money transformed Volvo (as a business), and the same can be said of Jaguar, Aston Martin and, to a lesser extent, Land Rover. Their legacy to these manufacturers has been good, commercially viable products and much improved production processes. Compare that to the mess GM left at Saab !
My worry is do the Chinese and Tata have the expertise and experience to continue where Ford left off ? Time will tell.

Everyone took the p1ss out of the Japanese during the late 50s early 60s and look what happened.
China will/already are, doing the same.
Chill.....

grainqey Dec 1st, 2010 19:51

Quote:

tata? geely you mean?

GMad Dec 1st, 2010 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by grainqey (Post 789055)
tata? geely you mean?

I think he could have been refering to the fact that Tata (another hugely successful company), now own Jaguar and Land Rover?

Silver Wolf Dec 19th, 2010 20:31

It's good news. But the doubt is what will the chinese do with volvo.
Upgrade it or downgrade it...

nomashedswede Dec 20th, 2010 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMad (Post 789137)
I think he could have been refering to the fact that Tata (another hugely successful company), now own Jaguar and Land Rover?

Indeed I was.

nomashedswede Dec 20th, 2010 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Wolf (Post 800662)
It's good news. But the doubt is what will the chinese do with volvo.
Upgrade it or downgrade it...

Probably keep a "Design Studio" in Gothenburg, a main factory in China, and an assembly plant building kits from China, in Ghent or Holland !

Volvophile Dec 21st, 2010 12:57

Quote:

Not sure about that one - Ford`s money transformed Volvo (as a business), and the same can be said of Jaguar, Aston Martin and, to a lesser extent, Land Rover.

Ford weren't much better for Volvo than GM were for SAAB. During their ownership they cancelled many projects Volvo had going, such as the converting of their modular engine range to gasoline direct injection and many other things. What Ford did was raid Volvo of all its safety knowhow and use it for their own range of cars, particularly for the US. It also can't be argued that Volvo quality is nowhere what it used to be since the Ford based models started rolling out. Everything now feels built down to a price and ergonomic design seems to have gone out the window.

Ford helped Land Rover out a good bit because the company was basically a basketcase when they were acquired. In my opinion they did very little for Volvo except make them loss making and move the brand downmarket.