Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Easily overlooked cause of tailgate rattle (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315983)

JohnM 855 T5R Apr 11th, 2021 12:29

Easily overlooked cause of tailgate rattle

2 Attachment(s)
Like many 855/V70 owners I've been working round the car to eliminate squeaks and rattles. I've been successful except for a persistent tailgate rattle, in spite of installing the tailgate trim panel reinforcement kit. I was cleaning the car and by chance spotted a missing rubber pad on the nearside tailgate buffer stop on the tailgate lower edge.
New ones are available from Volvo GCP via the dealer. I bought both nearside and offside replacements thinking I might as well do the two. Note, they are handed. Takes 5 mins each to replace.
Part numbers are 6846613 and 6846614. costs are £7.00 plus VAT each less 10% discount I got. You cannot buy the pad itself - you have to get the pad/bracket assembly. Bingo - rattle gone.

Pics below show the offending item in situ and the old one alongside its replacement.

4x4 Apr 11th, 2021 15:32

1 Attachment(s)
Just been out to check mine, both there slight wear but not causing any rattles (yet)

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1618151534

Mkengineering Apr 11th, 2021 19:58

Ooooh I'll check my one.

At the moment I've ripped out my tailgate inner trim. The rattle was driving me nuts.

Also I've got a terrible rattle now coming from, what it sounds like top left hand dash

Cookeh Apr 11th, 2021 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mkengineering (Post 2727895)
Ooooh I'll check my one.

At the moment I've ripped out my tailgate inner trim. The rattle was driving me nuts.

Also I've got a terrible rattle now coming from, what it sounds like top left hand dash

My money would be on dash speaker magnet falling off.

Gonzobard Apr 11th, 2021 21:39

Is it just tailgate trim that rattles, or can the boot catch rattle as well? My car has black tape wrapped around the pin on the boot floor, I assume because it may have been rattling. I’ve had my 850 for two years and have really enjoyed it, but the interior noise is maddening. I had a BMW E39 525 touring for many years - the interior was silent! Not as entertaining to drive as the 850.

Luxobarge Apr 11th, 2021 22:14

Yes, boot catch can definitely rattle. Mine was making a heck of a din over bumps - strangely, I noticed that it didn't do it when the boot was crammed full of stuff which was pressing against the tailgate, then it dawned on me it was the catch - I "adjusted" it inwards a fraction, so now the tailgate is more difficult to shut, in that it needs a firm slam, and shuts easier if there's another door or window open to allow airflow, but it does NOT rattle - and out of the two problems I'd definitely rather have silence!

Baffler Apr 11th, 2021 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzobard (Post 2727925)
Is it just tailgate trim that rattles, or can the boot catch rattle as well? My car has black tape wrapped around the pin on the boot floor, I assume because it may have been rattling. I’ve had my 850 for two years and have really enjoyed it, but the interior noise is maddening. I had a BMW E39 525 touring for many years - the interior was silent! Not as entertaining to drive as the 850.

As you look at the catch/striker, on the body, there are two rubber buffers at either side which, in addition to the above buffers, cushion the impact of tailgate lock. They each have a little nylon pad which rubs against the outer side of the lock body and over time become dry/worn and therefore squeak. Remove the rubbers, they just slide out with a little persuasion, clean off any crud and liberally coat them with silicone spray and refit. I think you can reverse them, left to right and vice versa, so you get more life out of them. You'll probably need to lift or remove the lower trim to gain proper access.

Also liberally apply silicone spray to all door rubbers, removing any excess with a clean microfiber cloth, and enjoy the silence :lightbulb:

Mkengineering Apr 11th, 2021 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cookeh (Post 2727906)
My money would be on dash speaker magnet falling off.

You mean that tiny thing??

craigoodwood Apr 12th, 2021 19:49

I seem to get a new rattle from various parts of the car every week... 🤔

Gonzobard Apr 12th, 2021 22:02

It isn’t just my car then.