Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Saintjersey (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=328903)

saintjersey Nov 15th, 2022 10:01

Saintjersey

I am to put a tow bar, for caravan, on 2020 V90.
We are not keen on detachable bars and would prefer a normal swan neck. However we are being put off this idea due to the fact it would set off the warning each time I reversed.
I would appreciate any advice from those with similar vehicle. Thank you.

37 RUBY Nov 15th, 2022 11:04

Hello

Why would the towbar fixed or detachable left in-situ trigger the reverse sensors?

My 2015 XC70 isn't affected by the detachable towbar being left in place. It sits between the sensors which do not pick it up. Has someone advised you otherwise?

P.s. if you edit your title to your actual question you may get a better response.

Whyman Nov 15th, 2022 11:42

If you have the Volvo one it folds away behind the bumper when not in use. The Volvo towbar electrics give you full functionality including the stability and traction control systems working with the caravan to minimize or eliminate snaking. Other third party systems cannot do this even though they might suggest that they can.

If you do not go for the Volvo towbar get the Volvo electrics fitted.

watto64 Nov 15th, 2022 13:19

I have never had a fixed towbar set of the reversing sensors on any car we have towed with.

We have the XC90 with oem retractable towbar, even when deployed there is no triggering of the reversing sensors by the towbar sticking out, but still detect obsticals so are still active - until you connect the caravan.

More importantly as referencd by whyman is to use the oem electrics.

Lancee Nov 15th, 2022 15:25

Some observations.

Fixed towbars really smart when they come into contact with a human shin, we have enough things to be aware of in modern life without adding more.

Whilst I appreciate it's not your specific type of car, the detachable swan neck towbar on my C70 MK2, whilst not triggering the reversing sensors when fitted, does change/interfere with the distance/s at which triggering takes place.

Some people might be inclined to obsess over the specific appearance of what can be a very expensive vehicle. If a towbar is infrequently used, lugging around an agricultural looking lump of metal could, for some, somewhat dilute any visual delight.

Just some things to take into account.

I currently have three Volvo's, one has a fixed and another the detachable towbar. The fixed one still smarts me on occasion. With this in mind you can likely ascertain which I prefer and would always fit.

Tannaton Nov 16th, 2022 15:42

I'm a fan of fixed towbars. They're usually stronger - on some vehicles detachable towbars have reduced towing and nose weights - something to check.

And they might save you an insurance claim if you reverse into a wall or get a light tap on the back in traffic.

GaryB1969 Dec 1st, 2022 15:38

I had a fixed swan neck tow bar on a 2018 V90 and can confirm it DIDN'T interfere with the parking sensors. I have a Volvo fold-away type on my new V90 though as I had problems with the fitter who fitted the previous one (he wired the fog-light delete function into the fuel gauge instead - plug the trailer in and the fuel gauge dropped to zero!!!!)