Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Performance Volvo Cars (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Is a V50 T5 really that slow? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=61046)

Simon J Nov 9th, 2008 19:13

Is a V50 T5 really that slow?

We recently bought an '04 V50 T5 auto to complement our C70 T5 which really isn't very convenient when humping grandchildren into their car seats in the back of it. Now while the V50 is very nice to drive (and much more convenient for the kids' car seats!), it doesn't have anything like the performance of the C70 despite having a bigger engine. It's smooth but simply lacks the grunt of the 2.3 T5. Is this typical? If so, it hardly qualifies as a T5 methinks!

Anyone else any comparable experience of V50 T5s versus proper T5s?

Nunchukhamster Nov 9th, 2008 19:47

Well, for a start, the engine capacity may be bigger but the BHP is lower, 226bhp in the V50 against 240bhp in the C70.

John_C Nov 9th, 2008 21:22

It may feel slower as the newer T5's don't have the same boost "kick" as the classic T5's but there shouldn't be a huge difference in actual performance. I've driven a couple of the new T5's and they are deceptively quick because they are so smooth but they are down on power as hammy said and for me they lack the adrenaline kick of the boost coming in strongly which you get from the older engine.

Simon J Nov 9th, 2008 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunchukhamster (Post 422775)
Well, for a start, the engine capacity may be bigger but the BHP is lower, 226bhp in the V50 against 240bhp in the C70.

True, but I wouldn't have thought that 14 bhp at max revs would make much difference in terms of low end grunt. And while the torque figures also give the C70 a slight advantage, once again it's not all that much - 243 ft lbs vs 236 ft lbs - and not enough I would have thought to make the very noticeable difference that I experience on the road. The V50 simply lacks the real get up and go of the C70 although its road test acceleration figures would suggest that it's actually faster. Maybe I need to put them side by side on a suitably deserted road!

dave4542 Nov 9th, 2008 21:27

Maybe I need to put them side by side on a suitably deserted road!

Now that would be fun........

Dave

MavUK Nov 10th, 2008 07:25

I haven't tested actual figures, but my T5 AWD certainly seems *very* quick (I'm sure it does 0-60 in the time Volvo says it should and it has 114000 KM's on it). But as said before it really doesn't feel it. You only notice it when you look at the clock.

don kalmar union Nov 10th, 2008 09:02

The T5 engine in the current small Volvos is stricktly a low pressure turbo engine with a high compression ratio.

That said it can be improved by those who understand its weaknesses, those being principally associated with having a wide bore and close bore spacings as with the now defunct 'R' engine.

A good basic software upgrade will give arround 260bhp, further increases in boost will really need the addition of a larger intercooler as the original is quite small. And with the further addition of a full aftermarket exhaust system you will be arround the 280bhp mark.....making these cars, in all their configurations, pretty damn sprightly. The next step is a reworked standard turbo........

So, from a basic software upgrade a very safe and sound 260bhp is on the cards for a minimum £400. The next stage is more costly in that you really need the bigger intercooler and complete exhaust replacement at arround the £1500 mark to get a safe and effective package.

I have done most of my KU/MTE development work for this chassis and engine combination with my own Focus ST which is the same in all respects as these small Volvos.

If anyone with one of these small Volvos wants some experience of 285bhp plus in one of these chassis I am up for some trial runs....

Regards, Don.

mole Nov 10th, 2008 09:05

If you want to keep the refinement and smoothness then you could contact Don about an MTE map for it as I know they make a huge difference on your engine. Unlike most maps for the newer T5's they are progressive.

Simon J Nov 10th, 2008 10:50

Thanks for the suggestion, Don, but I have no plans whatsoever to tweak the V50 as it was bought primarily for hauling the grandkids around. I was just curious as to why it seemed so much less impressive, performance wise, than the old T5. It was pure chance that we ended up with another T5 - we were in the market for a 'family' car and my local dealer had this on the lot and it had all the goodies that we like, i.e. auto box, Dolby sound, green metallic paint, cream leather interior, etc. etc. Being a T5 was a bonus but all in all , it was just as we would have ticked the option list had we been buying it new, but at a lot less money.

jmarkha1 Aug 16th, 2009 20:54

How would you remap my T5 V50 auto? - ECU sent to Sweden or OBD port? - any advice appreciated - I love the car but the performance is not as strong as I expected (after owning an early T5R) - different map and so on...
thanks in advance for anyinfo...

Quote:

Originally Posted by don kalmar union (Post 422892)
The T5 engine in the current small Volvos is stricktly a low pressure turbo engine with a high compression ratio.

That said it can be improved by those who understand its weaknesses, those being principally associated with having a wide bore and close bore spacings as with the now defunct 'R' engine.

A good basic software upgrade will give arround 260bhp, further increases in boost will really need the addition of a larger intercooler as the original is quite small. And with the further addition of a full aftermarket exhaust system you will be arround the 280bhp mark.....making these cars, in all their configurations, pretty damn sprightly. The next step is a reworked standard turbo........

So, from a basic software upgrade a very safe and sound 260bhp is on the cards for a minimum £400. The next stage is more costly in that you really need the bigger intercooler and complete exhaust replacement at arround the £1500 mark to get a safe and effective package.

I have done most of my KU/MTE development work for this chassis and engine combination with my own Focus ST which is the same in all respects as these small Volvos.

If anyone with one of these small Volvos wants some experience of 285bhp plus in one of these chassis I am up for some trial runs....

Regards, Don.