Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   New noise diagnosis (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318809)

adiosboss Jul 30th, 2021 12:25

New noise diagnosis

Can anyone point me in the right direction for diagnosing what this engine noise can be? It's on a 54 plate V70 D5 163?

https://youtu.be/uR2xvtvgW7w

Thanks in advance

Kev0607 Jul 30th, 2021 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by adiosboss (Post 2758101)
Can anyone point me in the right direction for diagnosing what this engine noise can be? It's on a 54 plate V70 D5 163?

https://youtu.be/uR2xvtvgW7w

Thanks in advance

Is it manual or automatic?

If manual, that sounds like the flywheel.

adiosboss Jul 30th, 2021 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2758106)
Is it manual or automatic?

If manual, that sounds like the flywheel.

It is a manual. if it is the DMF, how driveable is it until I can get it into a garage? Is there any further diagnosis I can do to be certain?

I've also seen mention of leaking injectors causing similar noises and there is oil/fuel on the top.of the engine. Is it possible it could be that?

Kev0607 Jul 30th, 2021 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by adiosboss (Post 2758111)
It is a manual. if it is the DMF, how driveable is it until I can get it into a garage? Is there any further diagnosis I can do to be certain?

I've also seen mention of leaking injectors causing similar noises and there is oil/fuel on the top.of the engine. Is it possible it could be that?

Doesn’t sound like an injector noise to me, but there shouldn’t be fuel on top of the engine either!

I wouldn’t be driving it too much if it is the DMF, only to a garage ideally!

You may need to get underneath the car, or have a helper. Press the clutch pedal & put it in gear. If the noise stops, its definitely flywheel related. As its chattering away at idle, I reckon its likely the flywheel.

You may have more than one issue here (injectors being one).

Best get a professional opinion on it.

cheshired5 Jul 30th, 2021 15:56

If it's the DMF, you should be able to provoke a change in the noise by operating the clutch or putting the car in 5th gear with the handbrake on and slowly lifting the clutch.

adiosboss Jul 30th, 2021 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2758180)
If it's the DMF, you should be able to provoke a change in the noise by operating the clutch or putting the car in 5th gear with the handbrake on and slowly lifting the clutch.

That seems to have proven it. Clutch in seems to speed the rattling up. Bringing the clutch up in 5th seems to make the noise stop.

Looks like I've a big bill on my hands. Normally I'd do the work myself but seems a bit of an involved job to do out front of the house.

cheshired5 Jul 30th, 2021 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by adiosboss (Post 2758190)
That seems to have proven it. Clutch in seems to speed the rattling up. Bringing the clutch up in 5th seems to make the noise stop.

Looks like I've a big bill on my hands. Normally I'd do the work myself but seems a bit of an involved job to do out front of the house.

I've known of a few noisy and worn DMFs last a lot longer than you might expect but yes it will ultimately need changing. Those damping springs will be very worn to produce that noise.

Kev0607 Jul 30th, 2021 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by adiosboss (Post 2758190)

That’s what it sounded like to me when I listened to the video. At least you’ve diagnosed it further now so to speak.

My Brother’s girlfriend had a VW Golf that made the exact same noise, but its a costly repair & not something I’d be willing to tackle on my drive either/front of the house. Its doable, but allow yourself plenty of time & tea breaks!

adiosboss Jul 30th, 2021 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2758232)
That’s what it sounded like to me when I listened to the video. At least you’ve diagnosed it further now so to speak.

My Brother’s girlfriend had a VW Golf that made the exact same noise, but its a costly repair & not something I’d be willing to tackle on my drive either/front of the house. Its doable, but allow yourself plenty of time & tea breaks!

It's tempting for sure and would be even more so if I had a drive. Just dropping the subframe and getting the clutch in right that intimidates me.

Kev0607 Jul 30th, 2021 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by adiosboss (Post 2758304)
It's tempting for sure and would be even more so if I had a drive. Just dropping the subframe and getting the clutch in right that intimidates me.

It seems like a garage is the better option on that basis. Shop around for quotes.