Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   850 oil leak (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=5745)

Ibstone Oct 30th, 2003 11:07

850 oil leak

My 2.0L 850 has developed and oil leak which has filled up the cylinder head underneath the rocker cover where the spark-plugs are accessed. Initially i thought this might be a problem with the oil-filler cap so I replaced the rubber seal but to no avail the oil keeps on coming! Any ideas??

warthog Oct 30th, 2003 12:20

RE: 850 oil leak

Hi,

my T5 does the same thing and when I first saw your post I immediately thought of the oil filler cap seal, but I see you've 'been there, done that'.

The only other obvious thing is the breather pipe that attaches under the spark plug cover. Is this old/hard/leaking. If the crankcase breather is blocked enough to raise the crankcase pressure then oil will find it's way out somewhere. In the top of the head it will just collect and smell.

Hope this helps.

Brian

colm.deasy Oct 30th, 2003 13:05

Hi guys,

I could be totally wrong here so forgive me now but I remember reading somewhere that if the flame trap arrestor is blocked up that the pressure can build-up and you can have oil finding an escape path via the weakest seal....could be totally wrong here but then again.....anybody else got any comments?

Rgds,

Colm

andy1 Oct 30th, 2003 13:25

check the camshaft sealing rings 4 off these often get brittle with time they are sandwiched bewtween the head and the cam boxcover

dr dolittle Oct 30th, 2003 16:41

It's probably the o-rings between the head and cam carrier that "seal" round the spark plugs - they get hard over time and lose their elasticity ... not trivial to change I'm afraid. And beware, as the Haynes book lies about how to apply the sealant to the cam carrier when re-assembling. I have the truth if you need to do it !

Bonne chance

S

jason Nov 3rd, 2003 21:18

Hi guys,
I have an 850 T5 with exactly the same problem i also tried replacing the o ring on the filler cap without any result,the head gasket has been redone on my car and all the seals etc where replaced including the breather pipe ,we have even replaced the bolts which keep the camshafts in place but to no avail,i am going to replace the oil filler cap as a last resort.

regards

will keep you informed when i change the cap.

jason Keely

macca657 Nov 3rd, 2003 21:42

I have the same problem too ...i took off the spark plug cover and cleaned up the oil and it appears to be coming out of the little L shaped (aprox 1 inch up and across) plastic thing...too the right of the filler cap as you look at it - i dont know what its called but the Volvo main dealer does & it is on order