Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Any Polestar friendly insurance companies? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=258330)

taz777 Oct 24th, 2016 18:44

Any Polestar friendly insurance companies?

I'm considering a Polestar Performance Optimisation upgrade for my car. My current insurance policy runs out in early February 2017, so about 3.5 months left. My current insurer wants about £22 if I were to get the upgrade as the premium increase from now until early Febraury.

The power increase is 181hp to 200hp.

Adjusted to an annual premium hike, the premium hike works out to about £75.

I was wondering if anyone has had the Polestar upgrade and whether their insurance company was happy to keep the premiums the same as before the upgrade?

green van man Oct 24th, 2016 19:00

Nope, Volvo's own insurance load the premium by 10% for polestar. Had it 2 year and failed to find any insurance company that does not load the premium by at least 10%.
In my case 10% equates to £35 for the year.

Paul.

I-S Oct 24th, 2016 21:12

I don't know about by how much, but I've had a couple of years of decent rates with Aviva - Polestar (225bhp) and named driver on provisional license.

The trick with Aviva is to get them to match/beat whatever other quote you've had, but before you purchase the quote do their "aviva drive" app, which monitors your driving for 200 miles. Once you have got a top bracket score on that they will reduce your insurance premium (minus any extras eg legal cover) by 20%, no questions asked (if it's over £400 - there's brackets)

DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX Oct 24th, 2016 21:28

Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

taz777 Oct 24th, 2016 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX (Post 2185596)
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

Hi Dan,

My insurance renewal is in early February 2017. Is it still worth calling now to get a general idea of what the insurance would be?

If so, I'll PM you my details.

My current insurer is proving to be too expensive so I will definitely be looking around once renewal time approaches.

DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX Oct 25th, 2016 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by taz777 (Post 2185599)
Hi Dan,

My insurance renewal is in early February 2017. Is it still worth calling now to get a general idea of what the insurance would be?

If so, I'll PM you my details.

My current insurer is proving to be too expensive so I will definitely be looking around once renewal time approaches.

Hi,

If you wanted to PM me I'd be happy to arrange a quotation for you. We can quote up to 30 days in advance, so just be aware that any quote you do receive may not be accurate for when you renew in February.

Kind Regards
Dan

bobby2000 Oct 25th, 2016 13:06

I use Admiral and was told that there would be no extra for Polestar since it was a factory fitted option.

taz777 Oct 25th, 2016 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby2000 (Post 2185762)
I use Admiral and was told that there would be no extra for Polestar since it was a factory fitted option.

The issue is that I'm having it installed by a dealer (possibly) so it will be classed as a modification.

bobby2000 Oct 25th, 2016 13:17

Not sure when mine was installed since the car was 9 months old when I bought it with polestar already added. @ 230bhp.
Surely with your insurance the £22 is just an administrative cost, most if not all make a charge for any changes to your policy.

taz777 Oct 26th, 2016 10:32

The £22 hike for 3.5 months until renewal is just the insurance premium increase, they also charge £26 on top of that for ANY changes made to a policy.

That fee has cost me dearly this year as I had a multi-car policy with them and I eventually sold one car and part-exchanged the other for the Volvo. Every single change cost me £26 - even getting the 'cars in the household' down from two to one, even though their own computer systems should have known.