Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Engine 'carbon cleaning' (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315941)

stuart bowes Apr 9th, 2021 22:19

Engine 'carbon cleaning'

been thinking of getting my local to run one of those Carbon Cleaning things on the car to see if that helps the old MPG (and just generally for longevity, good running order, etc)

anyone had any experience of that, was it worth it, is it just snake oil, etc. I saw it on wheeler dealers and that Ed bloke said it was good, to be fair he seems to know his stuff. or does he just read a script. who knows

searched previous posts and seem to be mostly discussing diesel engines, mines a petrol for whatever that's worth

thanks in advance

stuart bowes Apr 12th, 2021 15:47

Bumpity bump

any takers?

SwissXC90 Apr 12th, 2021 16:52

I think they have much more impact on diesel than petrol engines...

stuart bowes Apr 12th, 2021 21:32

I figured that might be the case but I'm trying to think of ways to improve sub-par mpg

even it it might give me like 3 more mpg it's worth it surely

17mpg, average 10.000 miles in a year =588 gallons
20mpg. average 10,000 miles in a year =500 gallons
88 gallons = 400 litres
= £480 @ £1.20 per litre

that's a brand new set of tyres

=====
ignores the fact that soon hopefully it wont just be Urban,
so then we might be talking about going from 25 to 28
but the point remains

Davey J Apr 13th, 2021 00:22

If you are splitting hairs over 3mpg on a car doing 17mpg currently and MPG is a concern for you.........spending more money on a Carbon Clean is not necessarily the answer here.

That said I have used it on a 1.9TDi T5 Transporter which included taking inlet manifold off and de-coking that the results were a slightly quieter engine and more urgency. I didn't bother with MPG checks as I don't drive the exact same routes every day so any test would have been flawed from the get go, not to mention temperature differences each day, how often did I start stop, etc.

Better to maintain decent tyre pressures and make sure brakes are freed off......moderate throttle, etc

I don't think this service will benefit a car of that age. More for direct injection stuff with swirl flaps and the like as they are notorious for "gumming" up especially with EGR valves, etc fitted.

Kev0607 Apr 13th, 2021 01:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey J (Post 2728224)
If you are splitting hairs over 3mpg on a car doing 17mpg currently and MPG is a concern for you.........spending more money on a Carbon Clean is not necessarily the answer here.

That said I have used it on a 1.9TDi T5 Transporter which included taking inlet manifold off and de-coking that the results were a slightly quieter engine and more urgency. I didn't bother with MPG checks as I don't drive the exact same routes every day so any test would have been flawed from the get go, not to mention temperature differences each day, how often did I start stop, etc.

Better to maintain decent tyre pressures and make sure brakes are freed off......moderate throttle, etc

I don't think this service will benefit a car of that age. More for direct injection stuff with swirl flaps and the like as they are notorious for "gumming" up especially with EGR valves, etc fitted.

Agreed.

i wouldn't bother doing it on a car this age, particularly with it being petrol.

stuart bowes Apr 13th, 2021 07:55

Fair enough thanks, will look for other options then

I already do all the obvious things like tyre pressures, throttle control, not using air con etc. I'm not into hypermiling or anything is just that this particular car should be getting a few more mpg on average from what I've read and I'm trying to work out why rather than just accepting it as a given

I don't think my brakes are binding, but I have replaced everything in the last few months so it is all very tight and new just because of pads and discs going back to the correct thicknesses I guess

The number 3 was just a mathematical example of how a small improvement can add up to a worthy annual saving

Kev0607 Apr 13th, 2021 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart bowes (Post 2728253)
Fair enough thanks, will look for other options then

I already do all the obvious things like tyre pressures, throttle control, not using air con etc. I'm not into hypermiling or anything is just that this particular car should be getting a few more mpg on average from what I've read and I'm trying to work out why rather than just accepting it as a given

I don't think my brakes are binding, but I have replaced everything in the last few months so it is all very tight and new just because of pads and discs going back to the correct thicknesses I guess

The number 3 was just a mathematical example of how a small improvement can add up to a worthy annual saving

Has it been serviced recently? Spark plugs, air filter etc.

XC90Mk1 Apr 13th, 2021 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart bowes (Post 2727422)
been thinking of getting my local to run one of those Carbon Cleaning things on the car to see if that helps the old MPG (and just generally for longevity, good running order, etc)

anyone had any experience of that, was it worth it, is it just snake oil, etc. I saw it on wheeler dealers and that Ed bloke said it was good, to be fair he seems to know his stuff. or does he just read a script. who knows

searched previous posts and seem to be mostly discussing diesel engines, mines a petrol for whatever that's worth

thanks in advance

The ‘Terraclean’ process has good reviews and I believe to be backed up with data. A work colleague had it done to his 110K focus diesel and found it made good improvements.

I am sure you will find an improvement. Give it a go!

stuart bowes Apr 13th, 2021 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2728395)
Has it been serviced recently? Spark plugs, air filter etc.

Yes and yes :) injector cleaner x2 (3rd on next fill up) and cleaned MAF