Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   V90 Crome dashboard sun glint (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318536)

jcozens Jul 20th, 2021 21:58

V90 Crome dashboard sun glint

I I have just bought a new 21 plate V90 very happy with it apart from when the sun hits the chrome on the dashboard it either blinds me or the passenger. Has anyone else come across this problem and is there anything that can be done to fix this. Thanks Jamie

Nippy Jul 20th, 2021 22:46

Yup annoys me too. Only had the car 5 days though so haven’t thought of a solution.

DaveNP Jul 21st, 2021 07:51

My son has replaced some of the trim in his Mazda with some aftermarket metallic red trim, because he thinks the red in a black interior looks better, with a quick search I can't see any such product for a V90, the only alternative I can think of is covering individual pieces with some sort of film like the pretend carbon fibre but that would be a fiddly time consuming job.

Nippy Jul 21st, 2021 08:05

It is the only thing that really irritates me in the new car. I am actually very surprised at Volvo for allowing that to be designed into their cars.

DaveNP Jul 21st, 2021 08:12

Does make you wonder with all of the time and money they put into development how it was that no one went for a drive in the sunshine and said 'that's flippin annoying'.

Nippy Jul 21st, 2021 09:01

I think I may email Volvo about it, just so they're aware of potential issues. And to see if they have come across other people reporting the problem and if they have any ideas for a solution..

BlueDevil Jul 21st, 2021 12:37

Happened to me in every car I ever had (or just drove) that had any chrome/stainless/otherwise shiny details on the dashboard. Disaster, really, and not much you can do about it except taping over it like DAVENP suggested.

One car I took to a shop that installs those dark films on windows, but they redirected me to a shop that does wrapping (that thing when all/part of the exterior gets foil-wrapped). Well they had some see-through-but-hardly black/smoke foil that they use for covering lights and similar, so they gave it a try on metal (stainless) parts in the cockpit. Sure enough that looked good, looked excellent, but the sun blinding was still present. To lesse extent, it was significantly less bright, but was still there.

But boy oh boy did it look good! All that shiny stainless became something like black chrome, like dark mirror of sort.

Yet, still reflecting sun....

jcozens Jul 21st, 2021 13:29

Thanks

Thanks for you reply’s will keep looking and Email Volvo will post an update once I received something.

jcozens Jul 21st, 2021 14:12

Reply from Volvo UK

Thank you for getting in touch.

This is something I have not come across before. However, please be assured that this has now been passed onto the product team and your feedback is very much appreciated. However, if you are concerned about this moving forwards, I recommend taking the car into a Volvo retailer who can perform an inspection.

Seems a bit of a cop out I think.

100K+ Jul 21st, 2021 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNP (Post 2755282)
Does make you wonder with all of the time and money they put into development how it was that no one went for a drive in the sunshine and said 'that's flippin annoying'.

Don't be daft, it looks sooooo gooooood..:) :)

Its another crass design decision of this modern world of image over function.
In the automotive world ( to me) the list of such cases is almost endless.
But I doubt that I am no longer the target market for new Volvo.

Cheers
Bob