Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC60 Recharge Electric Range (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=320877)

griffin447 Oct 24th, 2021 18:40

XC60 Recharge Electric Range

Curious to know what other peoples range is like in both hybrid mode and electric “pure” mode?

I have a MY22 XC60 T6 Recharge and at the moment get about 21 miles real world range in hybrid mode.

Thanks 😊

tdw197 Oct 24th, 2021 19:07

Exactly the same - same model too. Not great really.

At least it gives you the real life range on the charge gauge.

Notices the ‘pulled’ update promised big changes on range, no idea what has happened with that now.

sk546 Oct 24th, 2021 19:30

Same here, 20-21 miles in Hybrid (sometimes a mile or 2 more if I get decent regen in places) and 24 or so miles in Pure however, I never use Pure in summer as it doesn't run the A/C compressor to save electric and so it tends to get pretty warm.

griffin447 Oct 24th, 2021 21:13

Thanks both - would be interesting to know what the bigger battery XC60s get when they start getting released. Based on our supposed 34 miles range they will be lucky to get 30 miles real world. Really not worth the upgrade when you consider the RRP increases and lack of Volvo incentives.

I think you’re right tho - I reckon a lot of it is down to software. I know on a run in hybrid it will randomly switch to battery on the motorway when really it will be more efficient just ticking over the petrol engine. Hopefully this improves over time 😊

Director76 Oct 24th, 2021 22:47

Not the same vehicle but we reliably and regular do a 24.5 mile round trip off our fully charged 11,6kW T8 XC90 in pure which we do twice a day with a charge up between.

It is right pedal dependent and if you’re not careful it will run out a mile short of home, though equally on slow, heavy traffic journeys I’ve got home with 2 miles indicated left.

Always pre-heat if the temp is low
D76

Charnwood Oct 25th, 2021 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw197 (Post 2779710)
Exactly the same - same model too. Not great really.

At least it gives you the real life range on the charge gauge.

Notices the ‘pulled’ update promised big changes on range, no idea what has happened with that now.

I think that was someone copying the notes for the XC40 software update into the XC60 page by mistake.

sk546 Oct 25th, 2021 06:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffin447 (Post 2779740)
Based on our supposed 34 miles range they will be lucky to get 30 miles real world. Really not worth the upgrade when you consider the RRP increases and lack of Volvo incentives.

I think you’re right tho - I reckon a lot of it is down to software. I know on a run in hybrid it will randomly switch to battery on the motorway when really it will be more efficient just ticking over the petrol engine. Hopefully this improves over time 😊

For me, the new cars bigger battery and increased range is a bonus but not the big draw, the extra 55hp in the new electric motor is the biggest incentive when considering upgrading to the new MY22 car, along with the Android Automotive that will hopefully have most of the bugs ironed out by the time I decide to upgrade.

Regarding battery use when cruising on the motorway, the easiest way to sort this out is to select the 'Hold' mode as you enter any fast moving dual carriageway or motorway, that way the car will not drain the battery trying use electric mode at 70+mph, either that or cruise at 78+mph when the car decides its beyond electric mode speed and only uses the ICE.

griffin447 Oct 25th, 2021 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk546 (Post 2779789)
For me, the new cars bigger battery and increased range is a bonus but not the big draw, the extra 55hp in the new electric motor is the biggest incentive when considering upgrading to the new MY22 car, along with the Android Automotive that will hopefully have most of the bugs ironed out by the time I decide to upgrade.

Regarding battery use when cruising on the motorway, the easiest way to sort this out is to select the 'Hold' mode as you enter any fast moving dual carriageway or motorway, that way the car will not drain the battery trying use electric mode at 70+mph, either that or cruise at 78+mph when the car decides its beyond electric mode speed and only uses the ICE.

It’s not really an increase in power though as you lose roughly the same amount of power from the petrol engine to make up for it. Regarding the hold function, yes that’s true but then you have to remember to turn it off when slowing down otherwise you end up using more petrol. The easiest way to fix it would be to launch a software update. I’ve definitely noticed a few glitches which would increase the range just by pushing a software update. Bugs to android automotive will continue to come if not more so when you have an updated drivetrain that hasn’t been fully tested yet!

sk546 Oct 25th, 2021 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffin447 (Post 2779792)
It’s not really an increase in power though as you lose roughly the same amount of power from the petrol engine to make up for it.

Well, it is actually an increase in electric power but like you say, there is a similar loss in petrol power that evens out the overall power output. However, as the electric motor is utilised alot for pulling away and lots of normal driving, the car WILL feel much more responsive and spirited with the electric power increase.
Volvo's decision to remove the Supercharger from the ICE powertrain is rather a negative from my side (one of the main reasons for the reduction in ICE output) as I liked the character the supercharger gave the car but in an effort to increase economy and reduce emissions, I assume it had to go at some stage.
That and the lack of steering wheel paddle shifters are quite big negatives in my book so I will have to consider if the new XC60 is actually the right move or not.
Griffin447, I do note quite a bit of negativity in your replies towards a car & manufacturer you have likely paid alot of money for, is it that much of a disappointment?

RandolphC Oct 25th, 2021 09:32

our 22XC60 T8 recharge gives 21 in hybrid but actually gives a bit more as it recharges during the drive. My regular journey is 40 miles each way, I use the route planner for the outward journey and the battery is used up but does get some use on the return with an overall consumption of about 55mpg all on rural roads