Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120, 1800 Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   133 doors (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=95984)

Faust May 18th, 2010 22:22

133 doors

I'm looking for a pair of doors from a 2 door model (is there a difference?). Preferably black, but respraying is an option!

A previous owner of my car took the quarter lights out and put in a solid piece of glass with electric windows. I really don't like them, the motors are not terribly good and the glass doesn't fit very well - the car is shipping water and I'm sure it's coming in through there.

I reckon it will be easier to just replace the doors rather than sourcing new window frames, glass and winding mechanisms... so if anyone has some doors kicking around, please let me know!

amazon69 May 18th, 2010 23:10

I think you'll find it ten times easier sourcing the hardware rather than the doors. Good two door doors are hard to find indeed, and never cheap if you do.

The flip side of that is rusty doors are cheap and the hardware comes with, often.
hth
d

agent_strangelove May 19th, 2010 16:01

Two door doors are different from the four door or wagons....

Chris

Faust May 19th, 2010 20:43

OK - I assumed it would be the other way round! My doors are in mint condition apart from the crappy windows, so I'll look around for some new frames and winding mechanisms instead - or old knackered doors with nice salvagable frames :)

agent_strangelove May 20th, 2010 18:40

4 Attachment(s)
I've got lots of door guts about but I will not try to ship a full window across the pond. Do you know what parts you need? Your post is not clear to me, if you need the '4' shaped frame that holds the wing window. I might be willing to ship that with the smaller triangle shaped glass in it.

First photo shows the crank gear. Do you have that? Second part shows where the upper pulley sits. Do you need that? Next photo shows the lower pulley/tentioner Do need that? The cable/chain is also shown in that photo. See the last photo for a loose chain/cable assembly.

Best to bug me off list at agent_strangelove@hotmail.com

ClassicVolvoShop May 20th, 2010 18:51

Dear Chris,..
You should make a "PixieBook" on how to buy parts for an old Volvo!!
LOL :thumbs_up:

Alf ista May 20th, 2010 20:50

Hey Chris, it looks like the door card was ripped off and the handle was left on! I thought you would have no problem with those pesky handle clips! Makes me feel better though...lol.
Hugh.

agent_strangelove May 23rd, 2010 06:07

1 Attachment(s)
Well if you really to learn how a car is put together, then rip one apart. If you want to rip a car apart, get out a plasma torch and start wacking section off for other folks rebuilding cars... This car had four different sections removed before it was scrapped last week.

As for the door card, it wouldn't come off any other way. I think the window crank was epoxy-ed on the shaft. There was no clip on it and it still wouldn't come off. Hammering with a mallet and wooden wedges driven behind it wouldn't pop it off. The door card was trashed and the car was going away, so I grabbed one end and it came off that way....

Chris

Faust May 25th, 2010 14:58

A very kind fellow has given me some old frames with the small glass pane intact. They're not in great nick, but hopefully I can either refurbish them or get someone to make me some replacement bits for them.

I'm not sure if the window winding gear is still intact (fingers crossed...) - I'll have to take the door card off and hope to find it all sitting there! The winding handles are gone.

Tail May 29th, 2010 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liath (Post 675953)
A very kind fellow has given me some old frames with the small glass pane intact. They're not in great nick, but hopefully I can either refurbish them or get someone to make me some replacement bits for them.

I'm not sure if the window winding gear is still intact (fingers crossed...) - I'll have to take the door card off and hope to find it all sitting there! The winding handles are gone.

Hope you had more luck than i did :) when i took my door card off to find out why it wouldn't work everything was missing, chain brackets the lot and the window was held up with a rubber jammed in the channel and whatever glue they used to stick the winder on was fantastic stuff, had to snap the handle in the end....