Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Cabin vibration at idle D5 185 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=214871)

12345 Sep 27th, 2014 20:48

Cabin vibration at idle D5 185

Hi all.

When idling at 750 rpm there is a noticeable vibration throughout the cabin. Sometimes the bunch of keys in the ignition rattle.
Is this normal for a 5 cylinder ? The mileage is 83k.
Being the 185 it has the improved engine top mount and the engine doesn't seem to visually shake.
When you increase the revs to 900 rpm it all smooths out, so i presume the vacuum pump is fine.

I will get the mounts check over when it's due a service in a couple of weeks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Clan Sep 27th, 2014 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12345 (Post 1748374)
Hi all.

When idling at 750 rpm there is a noticeable vibration throughout the cabin. Sometimes the bunch of keys in the ignition rattle.
Is this normal for a 5 cylinder ? The mileage is 83k.
Being the 185 it has the improved engine top mount and the engine doesn't seem to visually shake.
When you increase the revs to 900 rpm it all smooths out, so i presume the vacuum pump is fine.

I will get the mounts check over when it's due a service in a couple of weeks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

When the engine mounts have sagged ( usualy the rear one first ) the engine will go down on the left side , and the gearbox will sit on the bump stop rubber on the subframe causing a vibration right through the car .. normaly with good mounts there should be a gap of around 10mm between gearbox and bump stop .

12345 Sep 27th, 2014 21:03

That's interesting. Thanks.
I've had a look underneath but I presume the under tray has to come off to see the bump stop ?

Clan Sep 27th, 2014 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12345 (Post 1748382)
That's interesting. Thanks.
I've had a look underneath but I presume the under tray has to come off to see the bump stop ?

yes or turn the steering left and pull back the inner arch liner a bit ... and a torch will help as it is dark now :-)

12345 Sep 27th, 2014 21:24

Just looked. There's about 2mm gap. When the engines running I can wiggle the bump stop and it's not touching the transmission.

If there's a 2 mm gap does that mean the mount could still be knackered ? Maybe it's just normal.

Clan Sep 27th, 2014 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12345 (Post 1748393)
Just looked. There's about 2mm gap. When the engines running I can wiggle the bump stop and it's not touching the transmission.

If there's a 2 mm gap does that mean the mount could still be knackered ? Maybe it's just normal.

Thats close ! try taking the rubber out and doing a test drive .. the bottom of teh gearbox will be polished where it rubs the bummp stop if it is the problem .

12345 Sep 27th, 2014 21:43

Silly question but does the bump stop just pull off ?

The transmission does look a bit shiny but wasnt touching while idling in park and I was getting the vibration in the cabin.

Clan Sep 27th, 2014 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12345 (Post 1748418)
Silly question but does the bump stop just pull off ?

The transmission does look a bit shiny but wasnt touching while idling in park and I was getting the vibration in the cabin.

yes pulls or levers out , lubricate the cone bit to ease re-fitting ..

12345 Sep 27th, 2014 22:09

I can't remove the bump stop as there isn't enough clearance to prise it out.
I did a little test.
The stop can easily be turned a few degrees and when I twisted it so the bump was against the transmission the vibrations got no worse. So the vibration is the same if the gap is 1mm away and loose or when the stop is pressing against the transmission.
I presume I need to get the rear mount inspected anyway.

Any idea of the cost of the part and labour time from an Indy ?

JohnL Sep 28th, 2014 07:42

Could be the alternator one way clutch not working, does the auxillary belt also squeak at idle?
John