Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Any advice on 240 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=209981)

hutch63 Jul 17th, 2014 07:16

Any advice on 240

Hi all
need a little advice 240 gle> car has been standing for 2 years

sun roof will not open handle seems loose. Which way to turn to open , clock wise?

Virgo rims are ali right, have mine oxsadised? Even look rusty, how best to clean them.

Water pump needed, can i do the came belt later or best done now with pump off.

Thanks in advance

Antz Jul 17th, 2014 08:54

Virgo rims are alloy. For best results they will need a full refurb. At least a sand down and repaint.

Water pump. For a car thats been sat 2 years Id replace the cambelt wanyway. You have no idea how old or brittle it is and not doing it is dicing with death.

Jack Spaniel Jul 17th, 2014 13:56

Get one!

Angie Jul 17th, 2014 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Spaniel (Post 1694158)
Get one!

I second that!

Ours had been standing outside for a year so inevitably there were a few little problems initially. Cambelt was a definite, as well as checking over brakes etc., though the seller, a friend, was meticulous in carrying out pre-sale work for MoT, so we were very fortunate in that respect.

hutch63 Jul 17th, 2014 18:41

thanks all, great advice as always.

thanks all. iit needs a water pump , then get it looked at for m.o.t. if it is right and passes. i will do a new cam belt and anything else full service the works.

any advice on the sunroof. will not open .

Stephen Edwin Jul 17th, 2014 20:45

Providing you can deal with the crankcase pulley bolt (there's lots of advice in the forum) then changing the cambelt is not much work when the water pump is being changed. And genuine Volvo cambelts are cheap. I hope that helps.

geoffo Jul 18th, 2014 21:57

sunroof

back it off a little and flood it with gt85.......repeat going a little further each time.....handle only turns one way to undo (can't remember which way)....the most important thing is very g-e-n-t-l-y.......

Stephen Edwin Jul 19th, 2014 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin (Post 1694460)
Providing you can deal with the crankcase pulley bolt (there's lots of advice in the forum) then changing the cambelt is not much work when the water pump is being changed. And genuine Volvo cambelts are cheap. I hope that helps.

oops ... that should be crankshaft pulley bolt ... mea culpa init ...

hutch63 Jul 20th, 2014 19:57

were art thou Fuse box

hi
thanks for all the advice. great stuff.
water pump i
sunroof sorted

now looking for the fusebox any pointers

Stephen Edwin Jul 20th, 2014 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by hutch63 (Post 1696700)
hi
thanks for all the advice. great stuff.
water pump i
sunroof sorted

now looking for the fusebox any pointers

The fuses are (usually) under a vertical plastic cover just forward of the front passenger door, in the footwell.