Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Body/Trim: Clock (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325206)

DJ May 2nd, 2022 17:56

Clock

1 Attachment(s)
Clock working but losing time...
Newly acquired '85 240 so not sure for how long.

Assuming there have been no power outages, does anyone have any ideas why, please?

Pic attached- appears to be standard product.

Thanks

BicycleBoy May 2nd, 2022 19:15

How long since you last checked? Clocks (should have) gone forwards an hour at the end of March; An unadjusted clock will be showing an hour behind.

Easy to forget nowadays when everything electronic auto-changes or uses radio time signals.

DJ May 2nd, 2022 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by BicycleBoy (Post 2822288)
How long since you last checked? Clocks (should have) gone forwards an hour at the end of March; An unadjusted clock will be showing an hour behind.

Easy to forget nowadays when everything electronic auto-changes or uses radio time signals.

Thanks for the suggestion. Car purchased last Thursday (post GMT) and clock time reset twice since!!

BicycleBoy May 2nd, 2022 21:10

Oh well, worth a check.
Obvious things first:
1. Almost flat battery.
2. Corroded connections on the back of the clock.
3. Dry solder joints where clock wires connect to instrument cluster circuit board.
4. Voltage stabiliser module in instrument cluster not working.
5. Dodgy clock.

No. 1 should be obvious, 2 you'll have to remove.the clock, 3 & 4 involve removing the instrument cluster (so a good time to replace blown dash bulbs and fix the odometer, if someone has pressed the reset button whilst in motion...). 5 is unlikely, but possible.

Bob Meadows May 4th, 2022 10:32

This is from memory:~ ('88 240)
The square clock facia just clips on and is easily pulled away with care.
The clock body is a push fit into its holder (4 rubber buffer- mind they don't drop out)
The loom running to the clock is quite short and has a connector into the main
wiring, as mentioned above I would check these connection first- the bulb is also a push fit and easily checked/changed.
Bob.

DJ May 4th, 2022 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Meadows (Post 2822541)
This is from memory:~ ('88 240)
The square clock facia just clips on and is easily pulled away with care.
The clock body is a push fit into its holder (4 rubber buffer- mind they don't drop out)
The loom running to the clock is quite short and has a connector into the main
wiring, as mentioned above I would check these connection first- the bulb is also a push fit and easily checked/changed.
Bob.

Thanks, Bob-

I think I know the score-
Looking at the "time loss", the clock works when using the car (ie, keys in ignition etc).
The clock works OK when the car is driven.
It shows the incorrect time when the car has been left and then used the next time..

The previous owner plumbed in a "retro" radio" and I couldn't follow the on/off instructions in the manual as the controls didn't respond-
Turns out the rad comes on when the key is turned on and vice versa (no independent on/off).

I suspect the clock only works when the keys are in too (you never know what previous owners tinker with until...). I'll investigate in due course.
Dave

loki_the_glt May 5th, 2022 20:56

An alternative scenarion

Just a thought - should the radio have pre-sets on it that it loses?

I suspect that the radio installer has taken a feed from the clock's fuse and swapped the clock feed to an ignition- or accessory-live circuit.

Most radios have two 12v + supplies - one from a permanently-live feed such as the clock and the other from a controlled (accessory or ignition) feed. I'd look at the fuseholder cover to see which fuse the clock is supposed to use and trace the wiring from the clock back to the fuse it's currently fed from then reconnnect it to the correct fuse.

DJ May 5th, 2022 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by loki_the_glt (Post 2822840)
Just a thought - should the radio have pre-sets on it that it loses?

I suspect that the radio installer has taken a feed from the clock's fuse and swapped the clock feed to an ignition- or accessory-live circuit.

Most radios have two 12v + supplies - one from a permanently-live feed such as the clock and the other from a controlled (accessory or ignition) feed. I'd look at the fuseholder cover to see which fuse the clock is supposed to use and trace the wiring from the clock back to the fuse it's currently fed from then reconnnect it to the correct fuse.

Could be- but...
Went out to play today- pre-set for default radio stn ("Wireless 4") was extant first thing, but clock showing time of previous use (couple of days before).... re-set time at roughly 15:45 this afternoon and checked at 20:45 tonight and.... clock showing, more or less, correct time (20:50). Curious!

Probably worth a dismantle and clean as a starter for ten regardless of potential wiring weirdness.
Thanks for the suggestions.

loki_the_glt May 6th, 2022 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ (Post 2822842)
Could be- but...
Went out to play today- pre-set for default radio stn ("Wireless 4") was extant first thing, but clock showing time of previous use (couple of days before).... re-set time at roughly 15:45 this afternoon and checked at 20:45 tonight and.... clock showing, more or less, correct time (20:50). Curious!

Probably worth a dismantle and clean as a starter for ten regardless of potential wiring weirdness.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Very interesting, as they used to say on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In (that's me showing my age!). The clock is powered from fuse 8, along with the courtesy lights and central locking, while the radio circuit uses fuse one and is accessory-live along with the cigarette lighter, electric mirrors and tailgate wash/wipe.

Then again, it might be that the gremlins have decided that they've had enough fun and done enough damage to your blood pressure for the time being!