Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Volvo Car Press Releases (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Volvo auto brake fails during demo (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=95497)

uzyg May 12th, 2010 11:22

Volvo auto brake fails during demo

Oops!

New S60 gets off to a good start...

john h May 12th, 2010 17:13

Wow, that's a perfect illustration of build "quality" and the need to rely on concentration and driving skills, rather than gadgets.

Westyman May 13th, 2010 15:59

I saw this on another forum, I said there, and say again, at least the windscreen wipers worked :-)

Alpha206 May 15th, 2010 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by uzyg (Post 668958)

The start was very good. Pity about the stop.

Oilydad May 18th, 2010 12:50

I've said this many, many times before, and I will go on saying it!!

There is no need to improve upon things that don't need improving.

All these things like heated steering wheels (my absolute top mindnumbingly, spastic useless addition), auto brakes, indicator lights in mirrors and all the rest of it, are so totally unneccessary.

Best cars made were from 1990 to 1998. Period.

Now they are just messing about with them in the so called name of progress.

toxophilus May 18th, 2010 12:56

Three words - HA HA HA!

Auto brake is just another gizmo to go wrong, for people who can't drive - a lot like ESP, EBD, ABS, traction control and so on and so forth. People who need auto brake shouldn't even be on the road.

S80_V8 May 19th, 2010 08:09

Really if you can't spot a stationary lorry whilst doing 30mph why would you expect your car to spot it?! I find it difficult to trust my cruise control and tend to drive down the M1 with my foot hovering over my brake pedal anyway... and a couple of times I thought the radar hadn't spotted the car stopping in front so hit the pedal myself.

But I have to disagree somewhat with toxophilus - I do think my DSTC is useful. And ABS is just a technical solution to a manual braking technique, which most drivers no longer learn. EBD I'm sure has its moments.

However auto-wipers seem a bit lazy - I have them but don't bother with them as I can tell when there's lots of water on the windscreen. But I bet someone said the same about self-cancelling indicators!!! My old Citroen CX didn't have them, just a rocker switch, and I coped with it, so why do I need them now?! LOL

Gazdok May 29th, 2010 20:56

DSTC, ESC, and whatever name was given to it by various manufacturers has reduced accidents - stats from germany. Particular A-Class Mercedes and high, short wheelbase cars need it. I have not seen any figure here.

Clan May 29th, 2010 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by uzyg (Post 668958)

The reason this happened was the battery went flat the night before the test , they charged it in the morning and started the car and there was a crash dummy in it .. the people doing the test failed to see the message in the instrument panel that said the Auto-Brake system was disabled .. predumably some fault codes due to the flat battery needed clearing ..
They have done this test 400 times at the factory , so it was human error , and if a human was driving they would have seen the message .

john h May 29th, 2010 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 678504)
The reason this happened was the battery went flat the night before the test , they charged it in the morning and started the car and there was a crash dummy in it .. the people doing the test failed to see the message in the instrument panel that said the Auto-Brake system was disabled .. predumably some fault codes due to the flat battery needed clearing ..
They have done this test 400 times at the factory , so it was human error , and if a human was driving they would have seen the message .

.... or, just possibly, that's the best story they could come up with after the event?