Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Battery Replacement 2011 D5 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322852)

jasons6930 Jan 17th, 2022 06:33

Battery Replacement 2011 D5

Hi guys,

Need to change the battery and looking in the manual, there doesn't appear to be anything special about the the task, except black lead first.

Would i be ok to do it and not have any warning lights come on when the new battery is installed?

I have read a few other threads about battery swapping, but none really cover this year and model of car.

Thanks

Paranormal Jan 17th, 2022 07:49

Do you have Start-Stop feature on your car?
If not then it is easy, simple swap.
With Start-Stop, it needs to be intoduced to your car trough diagnostics equipment.

jasons6930 Jan 17th, 2022 08:35

No it doesn’t have stop start so that’s good news with the simple swap.

Thanks very much!

alf27 Jan 17th, 2022 10:18

Just make sure that before disconnection that all systems have powered down, ie once keys removed allow several minutes to elapse before removing the cables from the battery.

Deck1ng Jan 17th, 2022 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranormal (Post 2800450)
With Start-Stop, it needs to be intoduced to your car trough diagnostics equipment.

Why is that?

Tannaton Jan 17th, 2022 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranormal (Post 2800450)

If it's the vehicle main battery - no diagnostics required.

Tannaton Jan 17th, 2022 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasons6930 (Post 2800444)
Hi guys,

Need to change the battery and looking in the manual, there doesn't appear to be anything special about the the task, except black lead first.

Would i be ok to do it and not have any warning lights come on when the new battery is installed?

Thanks

The reason it's good practice to remove the black (negative) lead first is to prevent you causing a short circuit if you catch your spanner on any metal work if you were to remove the red (positive) lead first. There is no electrical significance to it.

No diagnostics needed. If you haven't bought a battery yet, dealers are often very competitive and the Volvo batteries are the best you can get.

Paranormal Jan 17th, 2022 15:29

I think that BMS(battery monitoring system) came together with start stop feature. Or at least from year 2012.
I replaced my 2012 S60 D3 main battery few months ago. Just to be sure, i checked the procedure from VIDA. There was a statement " when replacing vehicles main battery, BMS counter must be reset"
Otherwise there might be issues with "low battery" warning and premature battery failure.

Deck1ng Jan 17th, 2022 15:59

IIRC, the reset you refer to can be done quite easily in a few seconds. It has been covered on here and in UTube vids, where you switch on lamps then flashers a set number of times etc. Then lock car and walk away for a few hours, job done.

Tannaton Jan 17th, 2022 16:09

I believe the BMS gets reset if the battery is disconnected anyway.