Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   400 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   volvo 440 ignition problems ? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=78791)

winkyridg1969 Aug 20th, 2009 19:08

volvo 440 ignition problems ?

Got my 440 back on the road for first time in 6 weeks , its been sat doing nothing , started it , it drove fine for about 30 miles then started kangarooing , when i get it up to 4th gear it dies , checked spark plugs fuel filter , both ok started it today on the off chance it was fine for half an hour then started again , i changed the dizzy cap cleaned out the carb now it starts still struggles to keep its revs , stalls when you dont give it any revs and when i keep my foot right down on the peddle the revs go up and down on their own , i seem to have done more harm than good by cleaning the carb as it seems worse now , does anyone have any ideas , many thanks , Keith

liuleichan Aug 21st, 2009 09:12

Wrong forum, I suspect, should probably be moved?

winkyridg1969 Aug 21st, 2009 09:20

i cant work out how to post on the forum i need to post on thats probably why lol

liuleichan Aug 21st, 2009 09:48

All I'm saying is that you may not find the sort of help you need for your 440, on a forum for 850s and classic 70s, that's all.

No doubt a mod will move the thread shortly.

I suspect here is quite friendly where this is concerned. Other forums I use, the thread would just be deleted for being posted in the wrong forum.

acshortt5 Aug 21st, 2009 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by winkyridg1969 (Post 549364)
Got my 440 back on the road for first time in 6 weeks , its been sat doing nothing , started it , it drove fine for about 30 miles then started kangarooing , when i get it up to 4th gear it dies , checked spark plugs fuel filter , both ok started it today on the off chance it was fine for half an hour then started again , i changed the dizzy cap cleaned out the carb now it starts still struggles to keep its revs , stalls when you dont give it any revs and when i keep my foot right down on the peddle the revs go up and down on their own , i seem to have done more harm than good by cleaning the carb as it seems worse now , does anyone have any ideas , many thanks , Keith

Sounds like you have a major air induction leak somewhere. I suggest you check everything you disconnected has been properly put back together.

The carb cleaner will make it rev higher but will burn off very quickly as it evaporates.

chris55 Aug 21st, 2009 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by winkyridg1969 (Post 549364)

Have you looked AT all the vac pipes as it sound thats the problem had same on a pug 405 had a very tiny hole in it,check your gap in the plugs also that the air filter houseing is sitting ok ,well hope this has helped u in some thing ,
Chris Addlestone.