Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Volvo Car Press Releases (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Irv Gordon Aims to Turn 3 Million Miles in His Record-Breaki (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=100374)

Bob Jul 16th, 2010 17:10

Irv Gordon Aims to Turn 3 Million Miles in His Record-Breaki

As a record-breaking automotive pioneer turns 70 today, he shows no signs of slowing down - literally. In fact, Irv Gordon - driver of the highest mileage vehicle on the road, a 1966 Volvo P1800 - aims to reach an unmatchable record sometime in the next three years

Click here to read the full report

T240 Jul 17th, 2010 20:18

Thank you for reminding us all, Bob.

I rarely heap praise on anyone, but Irv Gordon is a legend whom I knew of and admired years before I got into Volvos. And he's a gentleman to boot!!

Cheers,

T

johnjp Jul 21st, 2010 19:37

I`m only 2,432,532 behind him and my 940 is only 13 yrs old!

tt82 Jul 23rd, 2010 15:02

And plenty of people seem to think 100,000 is high mileage. I wonder if Volvo will use Irv's car in a marketing excercise.

steve howes Jul 23rd, 2010 22:22

i think volvo have been trying to buy it off him for ages with no luck and i don't blame him for not selling

T240 Jul 24th, 2010 19:29

I seem to recall Volvo had a PR exercise going at the time Irv clocked 1 million miles in the P1800, and presented him with a new car ( 850 I think ).

Last I heard he'd clocked over a million miles in that one as well.

Cheers,

T

RoyMacDonald Aug 3rd, 2010 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by T240 (Post 711287)
I seem to recall Volvo had a PR exercise going at the time Irv clocked 1 million miles in the P1800, and presented him with a new car ( 850 I think ).

Last I heard he'd clocked over a million miles in that one as well.

Cheers,

T

I think maybe you mean the 780 Bertone. Here's what Irv said....

Quote:

Volvo has only used my car twice in a magazine ad and it was extremely subtle, so much so that you had to look hard to see my name or my car mentioned. However, the Parts Department has used it in some professional magazines and some of their shows/conventions for professional mechanics and body shop owners. For the past 15 years or so, I have been asked to appear at the national SEMA and NACE shows where my car and I have been on display to answer questions. Lately, the shows have been in Las Vegas, which is about 2,500 miles each way from my home and of course I drive there and back as always.

After 41 years of ownership, I am pretty well aware of how to fix almost everything. However, those things that require a lift go to the same mechanic (Nino Gambino) who has kept me on the road all these years. Not only is he my favorite mechanic at the dealership where I purchased my car but a good friend as well.

When I passed the first million miles in 1987, Volvo held a party and press conference at the Tavern on the Green in New York City where they gave me the keys to a new 780 Bertone Coupe. I recently sold that car to a friend in Holland with approx. 470,000 miles on it and it still runs like new. When I passed the two million mile mark, Volvo held another party in conjunction with their 75th anniversary of being in business at the WABC Studios in Times Square, New York City where they presented me with the keys to a new C70 coupe, which now only has about 50,000 miles because I spend most of my time in my 1800. I guess what Volvo didn’t provide in terms of oil and air filters is certainly made up by giving me a whole new car, including its own filters already installed. LOL.

Since the car has passed so many milestones, the car has provided Volvo with much free advertising, as my accomplishment is really just a human interest story. I don’t have any aspirations of grandeur but just enjoy what I do and continue to meet some of the nicest people in the world as well as people in the auto business that I would never have had the opportunity to meet as a regular citizen. I have been invited places I would never have even thought to go on my own but it seems the car and I make a great couple and it has taken me to five European countries as well as all over the USA, Canada and Mexico. Because of my car, I have friends all over the world and have two friends from Australia coming to spend a few days with me next week. Yes, I even got to go to Australia because of my car.
Here's a link to the whole article....http://www.designnews.com/article/12...lion_Miles.php

T240 Aug 6th, 2010 20:38

Thanks for that article Rory.

I felt certain that I'd read of Irv covering a million miles in a second car - probably wishful thinking :)

Cheers,

T