Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   whiney hum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319982)

Bashy Sep 16th, 2021 13:02

whiney hum

Hi folks, not been about for a while, hope all are well...

I have developed a whiney hum, well, not me perse', more the V70 and it sounds like the NSF, but meh, no telling is there, its fairly quiet and my mate couldn't hear it till I really pointed it out.

Theres no change in sound at all, not when cornering, either direction.
It doesn't change with speed, that I can tell, the only time it stops is if the car
is stationary or, as a test, i put it into neutral and i think it stopped then once the revs dropped off.

Dont say pulley, please, just dont
I initially thought bearing, but i thought that they change in sound depending on what the car is doing.
Im also thinking poss driveshaft, or CV, but more leaning towards pulley, see, ya made me say it..

Also i think its getting a bit louder over time, prob noticed it about 1k ago and it was barely noticed able, and now it think it would be easy to point out

stuart bowes Sep 16th, 2021 15:03

don't suppose it's low p/s fluid? possibly a silly question but worth checking

maybe would change a bit with steering though.. esp. at full locks

Kev0607 Sep 16th, 2021 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashy (Post 2770956)
Hi folks, not been about for a while, hope all are well...

I have developed a whiney hum, well, not me perse', more the V70 and it sounds like the NSF, but meh, no telling is there, its fairly quiet and my mate couldn't hear it till I really pointed it out.

Theres no change in sound at all, not when cornering, either direction.
It doesn't change with speed, that I can tell, the only time it stops is if the car
is stationary or, as a test, i put it into neutral and i think it stopped then once the revs dropped off.

Dont say pulley, please, just dont
I initially thought bearing, but i thought that they change in sound depending on what the car is doing.
Im also thinking poss driveshaft, or CV, but more leaning towards pulley, see, ya made me say it..

Also i think its getting a bit louder over time, prob noticed it about 1k ago and it was barely noticed able, and now it think it would be easy to point out

Alternator whining maybe?

Could be a wheel bearing. Some bearings make noise, but have no play.

Bashy Sep 16th, 2021 16:08

I dont think its steering, ive actually not long topped that up, and I know the sound when that becomes empty.

This noise is constant, no change in pitch or volume, the only time it stops is when the revs drop to idle, poss alternator, but that would change with revs, no?

eternal optimist Sep 16th, 2021 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashy (Post 2770988)
I dont think its steering, ive actually not long topped that up, and I know the sound when that becomes empty.

This noise is constant, no change in pitch or volume, the only time it stops is when the revs drop to idle, poss alternator, but that would change with revs, no?

Out of interest, how often has that happened?

Bashy Sep 16th, 2021 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by eternal optimist (Post 2771006)
Out of interest, how often has that happened?

If you're on about the steering topups, 3 years, its leaking from the o-ring on the rack I think.

If you're on about the noise, it started probably a couple of months now and over about 1000 miles, the timing and miles are a guestimate.
Its gone from just noticing a slight change in noise of the car that only the owner would pick up, to a noise that if you point it out someone else will notice it, trying humming to yourself as quiet as you can, then imagine that over the sound of the engine whilst sitting in the car, its not noisy, yet, its just noticeable. damn, so hard to explain these things lol

eternal optimist Sep 16th, 2021 19:06

It was the topping up of the PAS reservoir I was curious about.

I know what you mean about trying to describe a noise. Very tricky.

cheshired5 Sep 16th, 2021 19:10

Have the vacuum engine mounts been tested?
Has the right engine mount under the crank pulley been inspected?

Bashy Sep 17th, 2021 02:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2771043)
Have the vacuum engine mounts been tested?
Has the right engine mount under the crank pulley been inspected?

No on both counts, I can look into that, thanks, would the noise be coming from those or are you thinking secondary?