Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 Engine 2.0D : Poor starting and cold running (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=181797)

eethon Jun 4th, 2013 15:29

Poor starting and cold running

Hi all bit of an issue with my V50 any advice appreciated.

Car had an issue when started from cold it would not rev until it had cleared and was a bit warmer, it had a big hesitation on acceleration like huge turbo lag even stalling unless you pulled away very gently. I drove it home about 100miles and it did this all the way, when up to temperature it accelerated OK when the revs were high but the hesitation/lag was still there. When I arrived home I switched the car off and went in for 15 mins. When I came out and started the car it drove a lot better with only a very slight hesitation under gentle acceleration or maintaining speed. It then threw up a warning on the dash of: service engine system (or similar) and I plugged in an OBDII reader and 2 fault vodes came up (P1412 & P0490) which pointed to the EGR valve. I fitted a blanking plate and removed the EGR electrical connection and cleared the codes. This cured the problem on cold starts where it would not REV. But it still runs very rough when cold and is very clattery almost like it is pinking on acceleration. It still has a very slight hesitation on genlte acceleration or maintaining road speed but hard acceleration is fine. It now also struggles to start from cold, it requires a 2nd turn of the key to get it going without cutting out and blue/white smoke comes out of the exhaust until its revved and clears. It still idles very roughly until up to temp. It also leaves a residue on the floor where the exhaust exits and smells of unburned diesel When the engine is revved a bit it seems to clear and drives OK but seems very clattery almost like its pinking. Again hard acceleration its fine but gentle acceleration it has a slight hesitation. It runs better when up to temp but still not right. The previous owner had the injectors refurbed and ECU checked. I am not sure he put the injectors back in the right order might they need re-coding? and maybe an ECU update? Any ideas appreciated?

I will be taking off and cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor tomorrow and changing the fuel filter and re-priming with a hand pump but am a bit stumped after that.

eethon Jun 4th, 2013 15:40

Just spoke to the very helpfull manager @ SW Autos in Biddenden who suggested it may be the seal on the injector return pipe sucking in air. So ill be checking that also tomorrow.

Also the throttle body valve looks like it sticks from some other threads and it has been suggested to chamfer the flap as it gets stuck on start up. Would this cause smoke from the exhaust? anyone have any idea exactly what chamfer means? I assume it just means file down the edges of the metal flap inside but a bit of elaboration would help me no end. Know-one has posted as to if these fixes work either so still if any of them do Ill update here.

eethon Jun 7th, 2013 00:06

OK so although know-one has replied yet I'm gonna continue to update in case a pearl of wisdom crops up or it helps someone out with a similar problem/s.

So I think my problem is in fact problems plural.

Blanking the EGR valve seemed to cure the no revving problem and the idle got a bit better, but was still smoking a bit (I now think this was white smoke)

Cleaning and chamferring the throttle manifold butterfly cured the first start cut out problem, the thin wire like sensor was very coked up - Many thanks to craigblues for his great sticky guide:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=157241

It was chucking out more white smoke after doing this but im pretty sure that was the carb cleaner i sprayed into the manifold.

Today I removed The MAF cleaned it and replaced the airfilter for new. I started it from cold and a bit of white smoke (more carb cleaner of the MAF i think but it cleared very quickly) It was idling even better still. I went for a short blast and was was driving OK too.

The finel problems im left with are:

rattle/knock that clears when clutch depressed - Failing Dual mass flywheel I believe. Anyone know a decent place in Kent/SE London I can get this done at a good price?

Idle not perfect and a slight hesitation on acceleration/maintaining speed.
Also the part that worried me most It seems to "pink" when accelerating even when warm but less so than when cold. Definitely more clattery than I think it should be even tho its an oil burner.

Now This last one I think I might know what this is now, Today while the engine was ticking over I noticed bubbles in the clear "out" fuel line coming from the filter. Under acceleration there are a lot, my Dad was watching as I revved and reckoned it wasn't far off 50/50 air to fuel, Now I suspect this to be my final problem. I have a manual hand primer pump coming hopefully tomorrow and a new fuel filter. I've read a few posts from guys who say there is a known issue with the filter housing cracking and letting in air so ill be checking that also.

I may be wrong but I think this would cause the clattery deisel "pinking" i mentioned and the hesitation as a fuel starvation is causing a lean condition in the engine. Please let me know what you think I'd really like the help.

Cheers James

gswede Jun 7th, 2013 09:20

The last comment there, I have seen that one before, cant remember where. Split fuel line, oddly enough no spill but sucks in air..

eethon Jun 7th, 2013 11:15

Cheers mate I'll check the fuel pipes too. I did notice the last stamp on the service history was from halfords auto center not the usual volvo dealer so I wonder if the fuel filter was replaced incorrectly. Halfords auto centers don't have the best rep.

eethon Jun 7th, 2013 15:48

I am having major troubles getting fuel into the engine/pipes and the air out.
Need some help really, From another post I just did:

I just tried to prime mine but there is no fuel coming through the pump, In fact the ball pump primer was doing nothing at all so I ended up sucking the damn pipe like I was siphoning fuel! I'm really struggling if anyone can help at all? I know its an old thread but I'm desperate for some help. My filter housing is full of fuel but the "OUT" pipe has next to no fuel in it. its impossible to suck any more air though its a vacuum. Do I need to use the bleed screws or open the fuel filler cap (I did actually try this but no difference) or anything silly I'm missing? It just wont have it. The pump seems next to useless.

It seems as though its blocked I just cant suck any fuel through?

gswede Jun 7th, 2013 22:52

Could be your thottle messing everything up, it wont be the first time.

eethon Jun 8th, 2013 23:01

Success! I fitted the new filter housing today , reprimed and took the car for a run. Initially it had a bit of white smoke that cleared as soon as i started driving ( im hoping this is the remnants of the carb cleaner coming out and the huge amount of Diesel I spilled burning off!) after about 5 minutes it was running absolutely sweet. Engine a lot more refined, acceleration good and absolutely no hesitancy. Idle is good, even at cold start up and started first time even after priming! So fingers crossed thats it all sorted.

I did however managed to snap a plastic fuel line retaining clip (brass fitting that goes into the fuel pump) So im on a desperate hunt for a new one (volvo have no idea about the part and suggested I buy the whole fuel pipe @ £90 +VAT) just to get a 10p clip! Anyone know a part number or where I can get one?

A quick summery of what I did to get to this stage for anyone else with the same problem:

1: Blank EGR
2: Clean Throttle body and chamfer the plastic butterfly valve
3: remove and clean MAF sensor and new air filter
4: New Fuel Filter and housing (primed by pressurizing the fuel tank with a compressor) as I couldn't draw any diesel via the hand pump and return pipe as mentioned elsewhere. I primed it right up to the Fuel pump hence me needing a new clip for that brass fitting and hose.
5: Take it out for a long drive to let the ECU re-learn its settings.

eethon Jun 17th, 2013 22:21

Bit of an update, car is 90% there now but still not right, It starts first turn of the key now but still white smoke from cold and rough idling. Hesitation is better but not gone. I changed the glow plugs today and the one in cylinder no.4 was wet with diesel so im guessing a leaking injector. I have posted in the technical diesel section so hopefully someone will be able to confirm or dismiss this.

linearamp Jun 18th, 2013 13:16

Eethon
by replacing the the fuel filter housing did it stop the bubbles in the fuel line.Im getting the same thing happening to my v50 2.0D ..i think this is causing mine to misfire especially when i hold the revs at around 1700 ,whilst coasting allong at 30-40mph with revs at 1700 the misfire is more noticeable ...

cheers