Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Oil extraction with Pela vacuum pump (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281626)

Lincolnite May 9th, 2018 19:16

Oil extraction with Pela vacuum pump

Hi,

Some months ago I added the dipstick mod to my XC60 D4 AWD, 2017 model (old shape), all good and I can check the oil the way I like to.

Today I managed to extract 5.7 litres of engine oil through said dipstick tube using a Pela 6000 vacuum pump - which is designed specifically for this purpose.

I was well chuffed as this now allows me to do additional/intermediate oil changes myself - with the dealer changing the filter with the scheduled change.

The only comment I’d add if you want to do this is to ensure that the engine is hot, this makes the oil flow and really helps with the vacuum pump - which struggles with “cold” oil.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers - Rob

simonjedrake May 9th, 2018 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lincolnite (Post 2401900)
Hi,

Some months ago I added the dipstick mod to my XC60 D4 AWD, 2017 model (old shape), all good and I can check the oil the way I like to.

Today I managed to extract 5.7 litres of engine oil through said dipstick tube using a Pela 6000 vacuum pump - which is designed specifically for this purpose.

I was well chuffed as this now allows me to do additional/intermediate oil changes myself - with the dealer changing the filter with the scheduled change.

The only comment I’d add if you want to do this is to ensure that the engine is hot, this makes the oil flow and really helps with the vacuum pump - which struggles with “cold” oil.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers - Rob

Out of interest, did you not purchase the multi-year service plan with your new Volvo which will include all servicing costs?

Lincolnite May 10th, 2018 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonjedrake (Post 2401989)
Out of interest, did you not purchase the multi-year service plan with your new Volvo which will include all servicing costs?

No, I enquired about it but couldn’t see any value in it.

benr7310 May 10th, 2018 11:27

Its good to hear that the extraction method works for the mid year/additional changes. I was considering it as i like to do the mid year myself but just have the time to drag all my gear out the shed every time. Obviously the garage does the proper main service annually.

Was this through the small grey dipstick?

Lincolnite May 10th, 2018 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by benr7310 (Post 2402095)
Its good to hear that the extraction method works for the mid year/additional changes. I was considering it as i like to do the mid year myself but just have the time to drag all my gear out the shed every time. Obviously the garage does the proper main service annually.

Was this through the small grey dipstick?

No, but it could be. I had the small grey one removed and a “proper”dipstick added - it uses the same hole in the block though.

The Pela 6000 pump costs about £45

benr7310 May 10th, 2018 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lincolnite (Post 2402118)
No, but it could be. I had the small grey one removed and a “proper”dipstick added - it uses the same hole in the block though.

The Pela 6000 pump costs about £45

Nice one, thanks!

GrahamHR May 10th, 2018 17:56

I've used a Pela 6000 to remove the engine oil from the inboard engines in my boats for what must be over 15 years now; never a problem; the sump plug on boat engines is basically impossible to remove without removing the engines !

The dipstick tube has a factory fitted BSP threaded adaptor on the end and the tube extends to very near the bottom of the sump (the adaptor is designed for attaching a hand operated extraction pump). Rather than pushing the Pela thin tube down into the sump, I made an adaptor to attach the Pela directly to the dipstick tube; that way, the whole bore is used and extraction is very quick if the oil is hot. Pushing the thin pipe down at the end draws out very little extra oil.

TJL65 Nov 20th, 2021 22:29

hi can anyone let me no if you can use a pela extraction pump on a v70 d3 without a dipstick. Thanks

HDAV Nov 22nd, 2021 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJL65 (Post 2786864)
hi can anyone let me no if you can use a pela extraction pump on a v70 d3 without a dipstick. Thanks

It needs the dipstick hole which if you have 5cyl is there but hard to see

Easington Nov 23rd, 2021 08:26

For the price of a new oil filter and accessibility of its location is it not worth changing the filter at the same time as these intermediary oil changes?