Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   factory bi fuel (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=63801)

kev-g Jan 2nd, 2009 19:39

factory bi fuel

not sure if i have a problem with my v70 bi fuel, when driving it will randomly switch to petrol, regardless of weather the lpg tank is full or close to empty,today for example went on a 20 mile run 1/2 tank of lpg just over half tank of petrol, got 12 miles in car swithed to petrol and switched back to lpg just as i reached my destination,did similar on way back pulled in for gas by time i pulled off the garage forecourt car had switched to lpg, 1 mile down the road switched back to petrol,so i pulled over 5 miles later turned the car off and restarted it then switched to lpg and stayed on lpg,is this normal for a factory bi fuel or do i have a fault somewhere, car runs with no problems on lpg or petrol and had the fuel distributer changed about 20k ago at volvo (by previous owner)

MrP Jan 3rd, 2009 10:08

you've got a problem mate4, ours never changes over to petrol unless i do it manually (ours wont change to petrol even if its struggling or stalling)

i'm having to bite the bullet and take outs to volvo to see if they can sort the problem

kev-g Jan 3rd, 2009 10:52

thanks for the info think i might start with getting lpg filters changed and see if it makes a difference,as i do not know if these have been done with the services cheers kev

capt jack Jan 3rd, 2009 12:00

This is a lack of fuel problem! Probable causes: LPG filter(s) need changing, LPG fuel distributor/regulator problem, LPG fuel pressure not set up properly - possibly a combination of all three!

Fairly easy things for a dealer or an LPG indy to check.

Cheers

Jack

kev-g Jan 3rd, 2009 12:09

thanks jack,

glider Jan 3rd, 2009 14:35

BiFuel switching/cutout

KevG-
I have had similar problems with my S60 BiFuel(2003). After more than a year of grief, cleaning distributor, changing filter, and even squirting carburettor cleaner down the gas supply tube to the distributor ( a tip I found here), I eventually got a new gas distributor fitted at an LPG garage, as it had also started to cut out at random road speeds as well. However, it still doesn't switch automatically to gas very well, and I start it on petrol every day, then switch manually to gas once the engine is a little warmer;this just takes an extra few hundred yards.
After having this job done, though, I then found a BiFuel owner on here who had removed the entire factory LPG kit under the bonnet and had it replaced with a better, modern system. The cost isn't a great deal more than a new distributor, and the LPG tank is left in place.
And a last note:- there's another BiFuel owner on this site who has had THREE new distributors fitted to his car, bought new, and it's only done about 100,000 miles. He did manage to get Volvo to shell out for some of the cost, though. If mine goes again I'll be installing an after-market LPG system.
Best of luck with yours.

Clan Jan 3rd, 2009 15:40

The deciding factor as to when the LPG switches on is coolant temperature , if your thermostat has failed and the engine is running cool this will explain the problem , i had this problem last week ...

kev-g Jan 3rd, 2009 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 443411)
The deciding factor as to when the LPG switches on is coolant temperature , if your thermostat has failed and the engine is running cool this will explain the problem , i had this problem last week ...

my temperature does not seem to rise past 2nd mark unless i'm sat in traffic then it will go halfway on the gauge but position of the temperature was near halfway when it was switching yesterday

Clan Jan 3rd, 2009 19:35

It seems you need a new thermostat then which will increase the efficiency of your engine and cause the LPG to switch in much earlier ...

kev-g Jan 3rd, 2009 19:46

to be honest clan i cant fault it's initial switching i start it from cold and usually in the first 5 mins of driving it will switch to lpg, sometimes it will stop on it no probs others it will just randomly switch to petrol somtimes after 3 or 4 miles others after 10 or 12 miles