Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Antifreeze (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315571)

currymunster Mar 29th, 2021 21:22

Antifreeze

2004 D5 on a 04 plate
Had coolant level low warning come up. I've topped it up but I checked a website to see what it takes.
It came up comma xstream G64.
Great, that's the same as my wife's 1999 V70 .... Its green.
But wait.... The XC90 has red/orange in it.

Does anyone else have red/orange? Or are they green?

I know that the V70 we had from new and that was green.

Kev0607 Mar 29th, 2021 21:29

It should be green.

I suspect its been changed at some point in the past, but the wrong colour coolant was added to the system.

Do a coolant flush & put the right stuff in (green). :regular_smile:

Tannaton Mar 29th, 2021 21:51

....but until you can do the above, top it up with water or the red/orange stuff. You shouldn't mix the different colours of anti-freeze.

currymunster Mar 29th, 2021 22:33

Yeah, I thought it was wrong. I know you can't mix OAT and IAT.
I just hope there's no damage done. As it would appear the level was at the bottom of the expansion tank. I've already topped it up but the worry is, is it leaking?
It did lose coolant when I remove the EGR thing to clean it.
It was not installed for a couple of days and I didn't plug the pipes.
But with my age I think I forgot to check the level when I put it back together. So let's hope it's that!!.....

Kev0607 Mar 30th, 2021 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by currymunster (Post 2723664)
Yeah, I thought it was wrong. I know you can't mix OAT and IAT.
I just hope there's no damage done. As it would appear the level was at the bottom of the expansion tank. I've already topped it up but the worry is, is it leaking?
It did lose coolant when I remove the EGR thing to clean it.
It was not installed for a couple of days and I didn't plug the pipes.
But with my age I think I forgot to check the level when I put it back together. So let's hope it's that!!.....

How long was it at this level? I wouldn't think low coolant done much damage, providing you weren't driving around doing long journeys for months on end.

There's still coolant in the radiator, even when the expansion tank level is low... its not like the system was bone dry.

For now, top up with the same colour coolant as what's in the car already. Then as soon as you can, do a flush & put the proper coolant (green) in. Fill it to the max mark & then keep your eye on the level. It should be evident fairly soon if you have a leak!

currymunster Mar 30th, 2021 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2723843)
How long was it at this level? I wouldn't think low coolant done much damage, providing you weren't driving around doing long journeys for months on end.

There's still coolant in the radiator, even when the expansion tank level is low... its not like the system was bone dry.

For now, top up with the same colour coolant as what's in the car already. Then as soon as you can, do a flush & put the proper coolant (green) in. Fill it to the max mark & then keep your eye on the level. It should be evident fairly soon if you have a leak!

It's not the level I was worried about. To the bottom of the tank will be fine.
My worry was the wrong stuff. What damage to seals and things.
I don't know how long it's been in there and I don't know what it is.
OAT, IAT, HOAT.
I've got the stuff and will flush out at the weekend.
De ironised water as well

Tannaton Mar 30th, 2021 17:15

I wouldn't worry - no one has ever posted on here that have had a damaged engine through using the wrong anti-freeze. The bigger risk is no anti-freeze and damage from corrosion and freezing. The main difference with the modern types of anti-freeze is a longer service life from better anti-corrosion and acid control properties.

Kev0607 Mar 30th, 2021 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by currymunster (Post 2723850)
It's not the level I was worried about. To the bottom of the tank will be fine.
My worry was the wrong stuff. What damage to seals and things.
I don't know how long it's been in there and I don't know what it is.
OAT, IAT, HOAT.
I've got the stuff and will flush out at the weekend.
De ironised water as well

Well, being honest, my dad's V70 has the wrong coolant in it (pinky colour) & that has 160,000 miles on it now!

I can only presume that someone changed the coolant prior to him purchasing the car, but they put the wrong type in.

Its never had any issues with regards to overheating... it runs like a clock.

Yes, it does need a coolant flush at some point soon & the proper green solution needs adding to the cooling system. However, I've tested the existing anti freeze & its still perfectly fine.

Any colour anti freeze, providing its tested/changed throughout the ownership of the car is better than having anti freeze that doesn't offer any protection and/or none in the system at all.

Clan Mar 30th, 2021 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2723923)
Well, being honest, my dad's V70 has the wrong coolant in it (pinky colour) & that has 160,000 miles on it now!

I can only presume that someone changed the coolant prior to him purchasing the car, but they put the wrong type in.

Its never had any issues with regards to overheating... it runs like a clock.

Yes, it does need a coolant flush at some point soon & the proper green solution needs adding to the cooling system. However, I've tested the existing anti freeze & its still perfectly fine.

Any colour anti freeze, providing its tested/changed throughout the ownership of the car is better than having anti freeze that doesn't offer any protection and/or none in the system at all.

Just get the proper coolant from the dealer , It's the best quality and value anywhere .. Never needs changing either ... dilute 50/50 water ...

Kev0607 Mar 30th, 2021 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2723974)
Just get the proper coolant from the dealer , It's the best quality and value anywhere .. Never needs changing either ... dilute 50/50 water ...

That's the plan. It never needs to be changed? Wow!