Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Parking brake saga - broken wiring loom, recall?? V90 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315065)

Steorbs Mar 12th, 2021 12:31

Parking brake saga - broken wiring loom, recall?? V90

Hi all,

Those of you may have seen my post around issues with the parking brake in the last couple of days on my 66 plate V90. Ive just had 'the call' which included words such as are you sat down?

So apparently its a wiring loom to the parking brakes that has cut through (rubbing on the sub frame), something the tech who came to the house from Volvo (or their agreed guys should i say) said was a problem on early cars. The car is our of warranty as of January so about to take this up with Volvo as this seems a bit silly that this should happen and should be a recall if known issue?

The bill being quoted is £400 to replace the loom which im expecting to be a big loom for this price, but probably not. Anyone had this happen or replaced under warranty?

techwatcher Mar 12th, 2021 12:55

Volvo are normally pretty good in these situations and even out of warranty will probably provide a contribution to the cost if asked.

The £400 quote may not indicate the size of the loom to be replaced, as the quote presumably includes labour.

I wound ensure that the dealer speaks to Volvo about a cost contribution; a decent dealer should have done this already.

amadan Mar 12th, 2021 13:02

Does that £400 include a contribution from Volvo as that seems surprisingly low for dealer rates of work!

Definitely shouldn’t have happened but on the plus side at least it’s replaceable - A YouTube channel called TFL in the states had a dealer slice into the wiring loom on a new defender whilst fitting a winch and it appears to have written off the vehicle.

nu11eaf Mar 12th, 2021 13:48

I totally agree that this should be a safety recall. Any fault effecting the braking system or potential to cause elelectrical short and possible fire should be a safety recall.

Philip Fisher Mar 12th, 2021 14:14

Your dealer should be going for goodwill with Volvo for you. You can then push for extraordinary goodwill after that (that is the last stage you have).

We have a v60 which had an intellisafe sensor fail over 1 year out of warranty. We got 60% goodwill which did manage to reduce the bill quite a lot but still annoyed me....

I would be quite hopeful for you if it is a known manufacturing issue. I would be surprised if you couldn't push them to at least three quarter contribution.

Boatie Mar 12th, 2021 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Fisher (Post 2717677)
Your dealer should be going for goodwill with Volvo for you. You can then push for extraordinary goodwill after that (that is the last stage you have).

We have a v60 which had an intellisafe sensor fail over 1 year out of warranty. We got 60% goodwill which did manage to reduce the bill quite a lot but still annoyed me....

I would be quite hopeful for you if it is a known manufacturing issue. I would be surprised if you couldn't push them to at least three quarter contribution.

When I had a V70 some years ago I had the Intellisafe system fail (under warranty). The first step in the procedure was to replace the loom between the camera and xxxxx? Seemingly it had to be specially made, it took 5 weeks and turned out not to be the problem.
In the end it turned out to be the camera/xxxxxx and that the total cost (to me ) would have been in excess of £1100.

Steorbs Mar 12th, 2021 15:04

Been on to volvo Uk and had a word. They are speaking to the dealership whos got the car to understand exactly whats needed. Its a little complicated as the dealer its with isnt the one i purchased off - and who ive had lots of issues with.

Ive had a bit of a pop over the fact that i think if this is a known issue (which it apparently is) then it should be fixed as 'should' be a recall/safety issue etc etc. They cant get the loom for a good few days so they are 'patching it up' - i.e. solder and a bit of wire, so i can get it back till the part is in. They wont let me keep my courtesy car past 7pm today...that i got at 9pm last night!

I gather its not a huge loom as its only what's feeding the rear wheels as far as I can work out but clear exactly what/where it is.

i could go on about the issues i have had, its been crazy really. This could be make or break on me keeping it unfortunately. bring back a proper handbrake eh!

Peacocksean Mar 12th, 2021 15:20

I had this issue with the loom on my 2017 S90 just outside of the warranty. I was offered a 70% goodwill gesture without even asking for it. I don’t know how much it actually cost as I bought the extended warranty with the car when it was new so it was covered by that.

Steorbs Mar 12th, 2021 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peacocksean (Post 2717703)
I had this issue with the loom on my 2017 S90 just outside of the warranty. I was offered a 70% goodwill gesture without even asking for it. I don’t know how much it actually cost as I bought the extended warranty with the car when it was new so it was covered by that.

Dare i ask if your willing to say what they charged you? Its obviously an issue then. Im hoping for an update over the cost when i go shortly.

EssexExile Mar 12th, 2021 18:38

Call me old fashioned but if they can get at the loom to do a temporary repair, why can't they do a permanent repair? Why the need for a new loom?