Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Can I get radio to work with ignition off? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=195362)

johnxyz Dec 25th, 2013 01:19

Can I get radio to work with ignition off?

Really annoying that to have radio working whilst engine off , I have to have the ignition on.

Is there a get around anyone has tried. I guess it means a bit of wiring work round the back?

Missing Lincs Dec 25th, 2013 09:14

Hello johnxyz

The simple answer is no you can't.

Whether you can do a work around depends on the age of the car, pre-facelift, you could connect the switched 12 volts to the permanent 12 volts. This would be a permanent solution in that you'd always have to turn the radio off manually. It is possible to fit an electronic timer to keep the switched live on for a pre-set time after the ignition turns off.

Post facelift (2004) the radio is switched through the CAN-Bus, this could be worked around but it would need an interface capable of sending the appropriate code to the radio. I've never seen one of these off the shelf so it could well be a custom manufacture. You could produce an elegant solution with timer built in to turn the radio off after a pre-set time, or even when the battery voltage got to a certain level to prevent having a flat battery.

My only other comment, why can't you just turn the key to the accessory position when you want the radio on?

RichT4 Dec 25th, 2013 10:06

You could always spur off of the common live and put it into a switch on the dash, but if I'm honest mate, it's probably best you keep it as it is :)

Clan Dec 25th, 2013 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnxyz (Post 1543272)
Really annoying that to have radio working whilst engine off , I have to have the ignition on.

Is there a get around anyone has tried. I guess it means a bit of wiring work round the back?

It should work in Position I (position II is ignition ) But if your battery is anything other than 100% it will take a bit out of it after 30 mins as a lot of other systems are on too .

RichT4 Dec 25th, 2013 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1543326)
It should work in Position I (position II is ignition ) But if your battery is anything other than 100% it will take a bit out of it after 30 mins as a lot of other systems are on too .

That's why one of the best batteries to buy are the Bosch S4's

Simon Jones Dec 25th, 2013 21:04

If you just want to listen to the radio, the simplest solution is a battery powered portable FM/DAB radio. I use one in my campervan and it saves running down either the main or leisure batteries.

johnxyz Dec 26th, 2013 01:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missing Lincs (Post 1543316)
Hello johnxyz

The simple answer is no you can't.

Whether you can do a work around depends on the age of the car, pre-facelift, you could connect the switched 12 volts to the permanent 12 volts. This would be a permanent solution in that you'd always have to turn the radio off manually. It is possible to fit an electronic timer to keep the switched live on for a pre-set time after the ignition turns off.

Post facelift (2004) the radio is switched through the CAN-Bus, this could be worked around but it would need an interface capable of sending the appropriate code to the radio. I've never seen one of these off the shelf so it could well be a custom manufacture. You could produce an elegant solution with timer built in to turn the radio off after a pre-set time, or even when the battery voltage got to a certain level to prevent having a flat battery.

My only other comment, why can't you just turn the key to the accessory position when you want the radio on?

Thanks guys. The 'accessory' position I'm not familiar with that term, first turn of the key turns ignition on, in my car 2003V70 , fan blower etc also stay on (and some level of exterior lighting I think.
Its just a pain when you're waiting in the car for 10 mins and want the radio on - have to turn the fan off and everything is lit up and yes, other systems are churning away.

I've never owned a car previously where you can't turn the radio on without turning the key. I do a lot go hanging around in cars waiting for the Godforbids etc!

Thanks all

Clan Dec 26th, 2013 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnxyz (Post 1543537)
Thanks guys. The 'accessory' position I'm not familiar with that term, first turn of the key turns ignition on, in my car 2003V70 , fan blower etc also stay on (and some level of exterior lighting I think.
Its just a pain when you're waiting in the car for 10 mins and want the radio on - have to turn the fan off and everything is lit up and yes, other systems are churning away.

I've never owned a car previously where you can't turn the radio on without turning the key. I do a lot go hanging around in cars waiting for the Godforbids etc!

Thanks all

There are 4 positions on the ignition switch
0 Off , no key in
I accessory position
II Ignition on
III Starter engaged

You need position I to run the radio , The climate will be off if you have auto selected which you should do all the time . The lights will not be on ..

You need it on Position I to run the radio when stopped .

RichT4 Dec 26th, 2013 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnxyz (Post 1543537)

Thanks all

If you're just waiting around for 10 mins or so then having it on position one should just be enough. It should only work the radio

Marmitespreader Dec 26th, 2013 09:57

2 Attachment(s)
Four switch positions