Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC90 2016 Navigation/SatNav (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291693)

Simon Eames Feb 11th, 2019 13:46

XC90 2016 Navigation/SatNav

Am I the only one who finds the XC90 SatNav incredibly clunky and often unusable? I thought it might need software updates but these have now been done with no improvement. We have now been compelled to carry a TomTom in the glove compartment as we have had so many problems. I just hope you guys can tell me I'm being incredibly thick here, but I can find no way of setting destination by postcode, and often have found that street names etc are not recognised. The online manual is of no help as it gives no instruction on how to set destinations, and makes no mention of postcodes which, I would have thought, is the simplest and most obvious way to set a destination. Please can someone either confirm this system is utter cr4p or tell me what I might be doing wrong? T.I.A.

uro1 Feb 11th, 2019 14:36

Works absolutely fine for me. You just type in the post code in the "Town" field. You will have to have the correct country set and follow the correct local form. That could include a space or divider. But you should get a list shown while typing that will give you an indication of what is necessary.

Wizzpop Feb 11th, 2019 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Eames (Post 2494614)
Am I the only one who finds the XC90 SatNav incredibly clunky and often unusable? I thought it might need software updates but these have now been done with no improvement. We have now been compelled to carry a TomTom in the glove compartment as we have had so many problems. I just hope you guys can tell me I'm being incredibly thick here, but I can find no way of setting destination by postcode, and often have found that street names etc are not recognised. The online manual is of no help as it gives no instruction on how to set destinations, and makes no mention of postcodes which, I would have thought, is the simplest and most obvious way to set a destination. Please can someone either confirm this system is utter cr4p or tell me what I might be doing wrong? T.I.A.

It isn't the most intuitive system. I struggled to load a destination when I first got the car. Went back to the Sales Exec and showed him the issue. Whilst a tech guy was checking the software the Sales Exec went and tried a new XC90. He came and said that isn't good and was going to raise it with Volvo. I don't know the outcome, and haven't followed up as I seldom use the facility.

nu11eaf Feb 11th, 2019 16:46

Easiest way to enter a postcode is via voice control. Navigation/goto/whatever postcode you require.

You can put postcode in manually, navigation/set destination/address (top row)/then put postcode in city/postcode line.

Bash D Bishop Feb 12th, 2019 22:15

I often use the VOC App and send the destination to the car.

Milliner Feb 13th, 2019 00:12

Ditto. The VOC app is much quicker and more intuitive for full addresses and shows a map of the end point once you’ve finished.

Voice control for the postcode works well enough, but the rest of the address is a bit of a lottery as to whether it’ll hear you ok. In my experience anyway.