Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Problem with outside temperature sensor (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319958)

Chudy85 Sep 15th, 2021 12:19

Problem with outside temperature sensor

As in subject no idea why outside temperature sensor shows 4 degree when outside is 15. Any idea?
I forgot to mention also position of right mirror is not working as should

WABB Sep 15th, 2021 12:27

I have had similar on starting the car but temp shows 14 degrees (correct) initially then reduces one degree at a time to 2 degrees plus ice symbol. Turning engine and ignition off then restarting temp moves from two degrees back to the correct external temp. Has only happened a couple of times so far so not yet been to dealer. (2019 XC60). Software glitch?

Lozzingers Sep 15th, 2021 12:37

Hi Chudy,
I had a similar issue with my old XC90 from 2016 - needed a new sensor. I was mainly concerned when the temperature drops to close to freezing as I find that very useful (and a safety hazard) if I do not know when ice may occur on the roads. From memory it was £90 sensor, replaced under warranty very quickly, so hope not a huge cost for you.

Chudy85 Sep 15th, 2021 13:25

I hope all will go under warranty. So far i read on volvo forum on fb that some people close very strong doors. I tried it and so far my sensor is alive again. I booked appointment at Volvo for next Thursday and will see what they will do

BlueDevil Sep 15th, 2021 13:32

Mine was also starting OK then dropping to -13 step by step, then rising back to +5 and so on. Was replaced by service, but the cost was some 40-50€ including parts and hands at official Volvo dealer. It is MY2016, so maybe there's the price difference...

Lozzingers Sep 15th, 2021 14:36

I took photos of the weather on my phone vs the reading in the car - at different times just in case they potentially say it was hot tarmac or shady etc etc. It's easy for them when they have evidence to send in case of warranty claim - and just backs up your story which is always helpful.
Hope all gets sorted!

nu11eaf Sep 15th, 2021 15:15

The sensor is under the drivers side door mirror so the two problems may be related, is the sensor in the correct position or has it dropped. Could also be a loose door harness connection, with door open check the plug on the front edge of the door is fully seated.

Chudy85 Sep 15th, 2021 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2770736)
The sensor is under the drivers side door mirror so the two problems may be related, is the sensor in the correct position or has it dropped. Could also be a loose door harness connection, with door open check the plug on the front edge of the door is fully seated.

It is exactly what i am thinking. I will update in week time what service willdo with it

gaby Sep 16th, 2021 07:32

The outside ambient temperature is a parameter for the airco.
If the reading is false, the airco may not funtion as it should.

BWT Sep 17th, 2021 09:47

Just had this issue the car has been at the dealers 3/4 times on each occasion no fault found. Have been told if and when it happens again to take a picture so that this can be submitted to Volvo as part of a warranty claim.
If the sensor is the issue i will be happy to replace it myself if someone can tell me how to do it.
Incidentally this does affect the aircon as when mine was reading-15 during the recent warm weather i could not cool the car yes my aircon is working ok.

Regards