Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   xc90 wont start, shows engine and oil light, (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=269114)

Shala Jun 16th, 2017 09:18

xc90 wont start, shows engine and oil light,

hi guys, just bought my xc90 privately 3 days ago. drove all ok. yesterday i spent the whole day cleaning the interior, the annoying interior lights come on everytime open a door and theres so many of them.. for a short period i had the stereo on. at 4pm i tried starting the car and it said low battery so i jump tarted the car with wifes car and drove for 20 mins. at 10.30pm i drove the car about 3 miles, had loud music as i was enjoying the good speakers it has, i parked for an hour. when i went back to the car it wouldnt start, a neighbour tried helping jump start but nothing happened, xc90 didnt even want to tick over.. i realised the engine and oil light came on. i had to leave the car there, 1 neighbour was nice enough to give me parking permit for the day.

what could be causing the problem and whats the best resolution to solve this issue?

kind regards
shala

SwissXC90 Jun 16th, 2017 09:27

Start by checking battery voltage and putting a battery charger on it overnight if the battery is not fully charged.

Then the fastest easiest method is to use VIDA to read the codes and find out why the engine is refusing to start (but you may not have VIDA).

A no-start situation could be anything from a invalid key, the shiftlock preventing starter motor engagement, a failled startermotor relay, a failled startermotor, or many other things.

This is why reading the codes makes it so easy to diagnose. Without a code reader you are working blindfolded with your hands tied behind your back.

Shala Jun 16th, 2017 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissXC90 (Post 2286678)
Start by checking battery voltage and putting a battery charger on it overnight if the battery is not fully charged.

Then the fastest easiest method is to use VIDA to read the codes and find out why the engine is refusing to start (but you may not have VIDA).

A no-start situation could be anything from a invalid key, the shiftlock preventing starter motor engagement, a failled startermotor relay, a failled startermotor, or many other things.

This is why reading the codes makes it so easy to diagnose. Without a code reader you are working blindfolded with your hands tied behind your back.

Hi Swiss, thanks for quick responce, I dont have a vida unfortunately, i will try taking the battery off and charge it, will check the fuses too as theres daylight now,

S60D5-185 Jun 16th, 2017 10:02

I would just remove the battery BUT remove it PROPERLY as per instructions in your handbook.

Thoroughly charge it and then reinstall it PROPERLY in the sequence in your handbook.

These cars have numerous control modules and do not like having the battery flattened.

Removing the battery fully for a period can allow them to reset.

I have a feeling that if you do this and nothing else all will be fine.:thumbs_up:

diro Jun 16th, 2017 11:14

If battery charging/replacing will not help I have a feeling CEM is counting last days. Typical symptoms.
Also I have a feeling a previous owner knew about this problem and sold a car.

Shala Jun 18th, 2017 03:05

I went to get the battery after posting. was going to go pick up the battery & charge it. I thought let me turn the key. By surprise the car started on first try. When I turn the key to III all lights go on then off, but engine and oil sign still remains. but once i fire up the engine the signs dissapear :)

It has started 1st time every time since then though.

Can everyone confirm if this is normal?

Shala Jun 18th, 2017 03:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60D5-185 (Post 2286694)
I would just remove the battery BUT remove it PROPERLY as per instructions in your handbook.

Thoroughly charge it and then reinstall it PROPERLY in the sequence in your handbook.

These cars have numerous control modules and do not like having the battery flattened.

Removing the battery fully for a period can allow them to reset.

I have a feeling that if you do this and nothing else all will be fine.:thumbs_up:

Hi, thanks for the reply, havn't checked the handbook yet but seen youtube, says to remove negative first then positive.

it says when fitting battery I have to put ignition to position II? does that sound right?

Clan Jun 18th, 2017 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shala (Post 2286672)
hi guys, just bought my xc90 privately 3 days ago. drove all ok. yesterday i spent the whole day cleaning the interior, the annoying interior lights come on everytime open a door and theres so many of them.. for a short period i had the stereo on. at 4pm i tried starting the car and it said low battery so i jump tarted the car with wifes car and drove for 20 mins. at 10.30pm i drove the car about 3 miles, had loud music as i was enjoying the good speakers it has, i parked for an hour. when i went back to the car it wouldnt start, a neighbour tried helping jump start but nothing happened, xc90 didnt even want to tick over.. i realised the engine and oil light came on. i had to leave the car there, 1 neighbour was nice enough to give me parking permit for the day.

what could be causing the problem and whats the best resolution to solve this issue?

kind regards
shala

you bought someone elses problem , but Most likely the battery is no good . The interior lights turn off after 10 mins , and the dash shuts down when the voltage gets low with a warning , You should still be able to start it when this happens .

jamie1131 Jun 19th, 2017 07:59

Is it automatic?

If it is, £1,000,000 says that you didn't have it in park or neutral while you were trying to start it the first time, gave up, put it in park locked the car and walked away. Came back to it the next day and it was fine. Try starting it in drive and see if you have the same symptoms.

Shala Jun 21st, 2017 00:46

Hi, yes, the car is automatic. A friend topped up the battery for me, and charged it with a 4 amp charger, took about 12hrs to get green light. I put the battery back in my car and it was alright. that night after driving I got home and saw the message low battery. I went to halfords today as they do free battery test. The guy said the battery and the alternator are fine. he said 4 AMP home chargers not too great for the battery, the best thing to do is go for a long drive. I can say the car hasn't had any starting problems since that night :thumbs_up:

I will still get a breakdown cover though