Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   V40: Gearbox (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325287)

jorgibear May 7th, 2022 11:39

Gearbox

Hi there,

I am owning a 2001 V40 estate and have to exchange the nearside driveshaft. After taking it out i noticed a recess on the otherwise round opening where the driveshaft fits in.
So i was wondering if anyone has a photo of a 2001 V40 estate gearbox with the nearside driveshaft removed?
I then could see if my gearbox looks 'NORMAL'
Every help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jorg

magnuz May 7th, 2022 15:26

Which gearbox ? .. If it's a manual gearbox, it could either be a volvo gearbox, or a renault gearbox ? If it's a volvo gearbox, reverse will be over to the right below 5th gear, if it's a renault gearbox, reverse is over to the left next to 1st gear ?

jorgibear May 7th, 2022 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnuz (Post 2823076)
Which gearbox ? .. If it's a manual gearbox, it could either be a volvo gearbox, or a renault gearbox ? If it's a volvo gearbox, reverse will be over to the right below 5th gear, if it's a renault gearbox, reverse is over to the left next to 1st gear ?

Hi,
It's a 5 speed manual and a renault gearbox.

magnuz May 7th, 2022 18:20

1 Attachment(s)
This type of renault gearbox, for some odd reason has a completely different driveshaft type on the left, to what it has on the right.
Here is a picture of the left side of the renault gearbox. (Ignore the damage to the tin cover, that was caused by UPS)

jorgibear May 7th, 2022 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnuz (Post 2823107)
This type of renault gearbox, for some odd reason has a completely different driveshaft type on the left, to what it has on the right.
Here is a picture of the left side of the renault gearbox. (Ignore the damage to the tin cover, that was caused by UPS)

Thanks for the picture my friend. Is that a JC5222 box? I blew it up a bit and it looks like it has a recess on the bottom right where the driveshaft fits in.
Mine has that recess on the right hand side.
So it looks like it is 'normal' to have a recess there ( maybe for oil circulation?)

Thanks a lot for your help - i will put in my new driveshaft tomorrow and, knock on wood, i can drive again!!

magnuz May 7th, 2022 18:53

It's been a few years since I swapped my gearbox, so I can't remember the numbers on it. But my V40 is a 1.8, the gearbox in the picture is from a 1.6, as I couldn't find a 1.8 gearbox at the time, but it was a straight swap with no issues with fitment & parts compatibility. My original drive shaft from the 1.8 fits in to the 1.6 gearbox & is still ok several thousand miles on.

jorgibear May 7th, 2022 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnuz (Post 2823119)
It's been a few years since I swapped my gearbox, so I can't remember the numbers on it. But my V40 is a 1.8, the gearbox in the picture is from a 1.6, as I couldn't find a 1.8 gearbox at the time, but it was a straight swap with no issues with fitment & parts compatibility. My original drive shaft from the 1.8 fits in to the 1.6 gearbox & is still ok several thousand miles on.

Ok, i hope it will work with my driveshaft as well.
Thanks again for your help.
Take care for now.
Kind regards, Jorg

ITSv40 May 8th, 2022 11:28

That is just a bog standard tripod joint. It runs in the gearbox oil for lubrication and the rubber bellows on the drive shaft forms the oil seal.