Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What diesel injector cleaner ? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284609)

Willow place Jul 27th, 2018 17:18

What diesel injector cleaner ?

Most likely been posted before ! The car (v70,2003,2.4D) is almost due for the yearly test and I would like to use a cleaner, is Forte the best? it does appear to be more expensive but maybe better ? Any helpful suggestions please ?

cheshired5 Jul 27th, 2018 17:26

A good blast out on a hot engine prior to testing should be sufficient to pass the mot.
If this doesn't work, an injector cleaner is unlikely to help.

Liqui Moly Diesel Purge using a closed feed loop is the only injector cleaner I'd recommend.

AndyV7o Jul 27th, 2018 18:25

Forte aint all that, its over-sold by reps to garages who oversell to the public, thus it gets a reputation born out of myth. Not saying its all crap either, its just nowt special.
As ChD5 says, get it hot, take it the long way to mot, give it some proper beans keeping revs high (a little bit difficult given the speeds these want to do when encouraged) and ths should burn some crap off (similar to a dpf regen).
Most fuel additives do little. Millers is well reputed, I use Redline 85 plus as it contains PEA still which most dont, its one of those things we arent usually allowed to use these days cos it works... Trouble is you want to run a full tank of it to make enough difference, though the increased cetane may provide a cleaner burn.

Brendan W Jul 27th, 2018 19:41

The only thing I use cleaner on to any effect are the carburetted bikes. Redex definitely works but the systems are open to air and fuel evaporates leaving residues. When cleaners made their name, technology was much older and I would agree with the Italian tune up approach to burn off deposits on injector noses.

sreviz Jul 27th, 2018 20:31

:"we arent usually allowed to use these days cos it works""
So true!!!!

oragex Jul 28th, 2018 09:27

Maybe bring the injectors to a truck injector cleaning facility. These places are used to injector cleaning/testing for trucks (I think you guys call these lorries in Europe)

Zebster Jul 28th, 2018 09:39

I've never known an engine 'cleaner' to give any benefits. But maybe I just didn't believe strongly enough?

When the system is working at pressures of over 1500 bar, how do injectors become clogged? When I pulled the injectors from my common rail diesel Honda they still looked pretty clean at 150k miles. In fact the official Honda e-manual gave instruction to NOT clean the injector tips, only the seating area.

Brendan W Jul 28th, 2018 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2430666)
I've never known an engine 'cleaner' to give any benefits. But maybe I just didn't believe strongly enough?

When the system is working at pressures of over 1500 bar, how do injectors become clogged? When I pulled the injectors from my common rail diesel Honda they still looked pretty clean at 150k miles. In fact the official Honda e-manual gave instruction to NOT clean the injector tips, only the seating area.

One of the reasons often quoted as a cause of injector fouling is short cycle or low temperature operation where the residual heat after shut down is insufficient to burn the remaining fuel from the injector leaving carbon deposits. This interferes with the spray pattern and the thing spirals away from you.
As for not cleaning the tips it's probably from the same book as Grandma's wisdom to put nothing smaller than your elbow in your ear. Injectors are so finely made that anything less than expert cleaning is going to make things worse.
That said I've cleaned a few of the petrol variety in my time.

luggsey Jul 28th, 2018 10:25

Just my 2p worth about injector cleaner, I used it on my D5 by topping up the fuel filter cup before re fitting, it let's a small amount of neat cleaner into the injectors without the closed loop method which AFAIK hasn't been easily done?
It didn't make noticeable difference to the D5.
I also used it on my Honda CRV diesel, now this had bad knock at tick over which was completely cured with injector cleaner!
Note of caution, I added the remains of the injector cleaner to my Honda fuel tank and it promptly threw an engine code when the fuel filter blocked a bit with crap from the tank. Expensive filter on the Honda!
I didn't have so much left from the Volvo job as the fuel filter cover is pretty big and possibly more fuel in the tank to dilute the left over so I didn't have the same problems.
I used liqui moly after hearing good things about it on here.
Their engine cleaner definitely works, made my tappets quieten dramatically!

Zebster Jul 28th, 2018 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan W (Post 2430671)
One of the reasons often quoted as a cause of injector fouling is short cycle or low temperature operation where the residual heat after shut down is insufficient to burn the remaining fuel from the injector leaving carbon deposits. This interferes with the spray pattern and the thing spirals away from you.
As for not cleaning the tips it's probably from the same book as Grandma's wisdom to put nothing smaller than your elbow in your ear. Injectors are so finely made that anything less than expert cleaning is going to make things worse.
That said I've cleaned a few of the petrol variety in my time.

Seems like a fair point about deposits forming after shutdown, but surely the injection pressures involved will simply blast everything out of their way?

I guess my comments aren't applicable to petrol injection systems.