Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   2002 S40T Battery size did you install? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=330989)

PLANT Feb 19th, 2023 22:54

2002 S40T Battery size did you install?

Hi all,

I'm up to my 4th battery since 2004(second hand purchase)
Original battery 520Cca: 5 years
Second battery Exide 500Cca: 6 years
Third battery Exide 550Cca: 8 years
Fourth battery Exide Extreme 700Cca: Not purchased yet.

What battery do you have installed and what is the Cca?
Is the heavier 17.5kg Exide Extreme over kill and worth the extra cost for life expectancy?

My current battery was tested by Kmart Auto who said it still has life and not urgent replacement but I'm getting dashboard lights and no crank.... I pop the hood tap the battery terminals and it starts and go for a 20 minute drive and all good for future starts. Garaged at home.

PLANT Feb 21st, 2023 03:48

Anyone please comment?
Over 100 views and no reply?

magnuz Feb 21st, 2023 23:01

Maybe fixing the battery terminal issue would be a good place to start?
My original volvo battery lasted 11 years, but when it failed, it did so without any warning. I've had several batteries since then, probably averaging about 4 years life before showing signs of failing. My current battery was bought for another car, but didn't get used, so it ended up on the V40, it's only a small exide 063. 420cca 44Ah . Although this is not the correct battery & a bit too small it does perform quite well, even though it's been on for about 3 years.

PLANT Feb 21st, 2023 23:16

I am noticing a bit of build up on terminals that I remove.
Otherwise they are painted... to keep corrosion away.

Thanks for response....

Anyone have a big battery installed in their S40?

oldsaab93 Feb 28th, 2023 18:32

I have a genuine Volvo battery in my year 2002 T4.

Part number 30659798

70Ah 600A

Not much room in the battery tray for anything larger?

PLANT Feb 28th, 2023 19:59

Thankyou for your reply

cam Mar 2nd, 2023 05:41

Hi mate, I have three 770 or 780Cca Exides two on a hilux surf and the other on a fiat scudo 2.0 both are diesels and turn over excellent so should be good on petrol engines as long as they fit in your battery tray, all three just over a year old so cant comment on how long they will last, good luck, cam.

PLANT Mar 13th, 2023 07:24

I've ordered the new battery..... but

I started fine drive 5 km parked and came back to car 30 minutes later.
Attempted to start and all lights on dashboard but no crank.
Opened closed glove box(this has worked before) re attempt no turnover but a click... no crank.
Opened hood checked battery and terminals good... tapped em a couple of times. Closed hood. Attempted restart and no crank

Walked away and wait 30 minutes came back to car. Got it waited to all lights off and Fan on O position it starts up???? 🤷*♂️🤷*♂️🤷*♂️🤷*♂️

So go for a drive for 30 minutes stop and it starts again and drive home.
Now I'm told it could be the starter or solenoid ???
Where is the starter located as the vvt solenoid is on top of engine.

Could my 8 year old battery be fine and actually the starter or solenoid issue?

ITSv40 Mar 13th, 2023 08:36

The starter sits low down on the front of the engine. The solenoid referred to is the starter solenoid which sits on top of the starter. Completely different to the vvt solenoid which is a different unconnected component.

PLANT Mar 13th, 2023 10:26

So it started fine just now in garage.... reversed and put battery analyzer on. 4 Bars indicating 12 volts and no issues.

Started fine after looking under hood and headlights bright.
Parked car.

I did notice coolant had leaked from back of engine in garage floor?
How does mechanic test starter motor without taking it out.
If OBD has no faults?