Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Wiper missing part of the windshield (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=330063)

mark2410 Jan 11th, 2023 00:27

Wiper missing part of the windshield

So this ive had as an issue for, well forever on the v90, not as bad as in this video but essentially the same problem.

[YOUTUBE]www.youtube.com/shorts/rg1_qp6FrvY[/YOUTUBE]

can anyone say what the problem is or even better, how to actually ix it???

mkchappo Jan 11th, 2023 09:11

I've had this exact problem in both my V60s. The wiper seems to clear the screen on the up stroke but then leaves smears on the down stroke.

Tried all sorts of things - new blades (worked well for a while then smearing returned), cleaning blades, cleaning screen, coating screen. Nothing seemed to work.

In the end I removed the rubber insert from the blade (just pop of the plastic cap at the end of the rubber and pull out) and put it back in the other way around. Seems to have fixed it for me. Wiper clears well on both the up and down stroke now.

mark2410 Jan 11th, 2023 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkchappo (Post 2871016)
I've had this exact problem in both my V60s. The wiper seems to clear the screen on the up stroke but then leaves smears on the down stroke.

Tried all sorts of things - new blades (worked well for a while then smearing returned), cleaning blades, cleaning screen, coating screen. Nothing seemed to work.

In the end I removed the rubber insert from the blade (just pop of the plastic cap at the end of the rubber and pull out) and put it back in the other way around. Seems to have fixed it for me. Wiper clears well on both the up and down stroke now.

oooh, will give that a try when i can (if it stops raining!)

Big 240 Jan 11th, 2023 13:47

I watched an interesting YouTube video in relation to something similar. It was to help with wiper judder, and the fix was to twist the actual wiper arm(like wringing out a towel) as this slightly changed the angle that the wiper blades sat on the windscreen. This may help?

mark2410 Jan 11th, 2023 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkchappo (Post 2871016)

okay i had a go...... how do you get the end bits off? they did not want to come off when i tried

Hogster Jan 11th, 2023 17:05

I've also had this issue on my V60. New wiper blades don't seem to fix it. I've had the garage look at it as well and it made no difference. If swapping the wiper blade round fixes it then I'll be a happy bunny!

rhd443 Jan 11th, 2023 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 (Post 2871133)
okay i had a go...... how do you get the end bits off? they did not want to come off when i tried

Put the car in wiper service mode and look at the bottom of the top end of each blade, flicl the little lever with an arrow with your finger nail and pull away and the plastic and comes off with the rubber attached.

Not sure how you rotate the rubber but that's how you remove them.

neilgorin Jan 12th, 2023 15:19

I've found what causes this.

The rubber blade should be free to move in both ends of the wiper arm.

They stick with gunk and dirt at both ends though and won't move smoothly, so as the blade moves across the screen it's unable to move at all.

When I last replaced the blades on mine, I sprayed the slots it slides in with slicon spray at both ends before sliding the rubber in. No more skipping.

cm-mojo Jan 14th, 2023 08:23

I have this on my v90. I assumed the windshield itself wasn't very level....@neilgorin can you explain your fix a little more? Is yours a v90? The wipers are different on a v90 to a v60

OldEngineer Jan 14th, 2023 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilgorin (Post 2871385)
I've found what causes this.

The rubber blade should be free to move in both ends of the wiper arm.

They stick with gunk and dirt at both ends though and won't move smoothly, so as the blade moves across the screen it's unable to move at all.

When I last replaced the blades on mine, I sprayed the slots it slides in with slicon spray at both ends before sliding the rubber in. No more skipping.

Sounds interesting?
On another car I own this problem is caused by the wiper pivot moving in its rubber mounting. This one is fixed by applying a 'penny washer' to the outside of the rubber pivot.