Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   1990 240GL AUTO Box holding revs higher before changing gear (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326095)

SwedishScotsman Jun 19th, 2022 17:04

1990 240GL AUTO Box holding revs higher before changing gear

Hi there- looking for some advice please my 1990 auto 2.0 Gl seems to have developed an auto box issue.

Car starts and drives well and pulls away (I’m assuming in 2nd)… however to get it to change up a gear you need to really Rev it hard and Rev all the way to 4500 before it changes into next gear.

Downchanges all fine and smooth. Reverse also ok and smooth.

Pressing the overdrive button on dash does nothing (other than a light coming on dash to show overdrive engaged)

Any obvious starting points? Ideally looking to see if someone had exact same symptoms and can point me in right direction.

Many thanks

Moomoo Jun 19th, 2022 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedishScotsman (Post 2830095)
Hi there- looking for some advice please my 1990 auto 2.0 Gl seems to have developed an auto box issue.

Car starts and drives well and pulls away (I’m assuming in 2nd)… however to get it to change up a gear you need to really Rev it hard and Rev all the way to 4500 before it changes into next gear.

Downchanges all fine and smooth. Reverse also ok and smooth.

Pressing the overdrive button on dash does nothing (other than a light coming on dash to show overdrive engaged)

Any obvious starting points? Ideally looking to see if someone had exact same symptoms and can point me in right direction.

Many thanks

A light on the dash is to indicate o/d is DISENGAGED on my ‘91, 2.0l automatic!

360beast Jun 19th, 2022 19:50

Light in the dash does indeed mean you have locked the gearbox out of 4th/overdrive.

Is the fluid low and is it dirty?

Is the kickdown cable correctly adjusted or has it fallen off the throttle spool?

SwedishScotsman Jun 19th, 2022 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360beast (Post 2830115)
Light in the dash does indeed mean you have locked the gearbox out of 4th/overdrive.

Is the kickdown cable correctly adjusted or has it fallen off the throttle spool?

Thanks so much for the replies
I’m curious about the cable point… do you have a picture as to the set up you could possibly share with me?
I spotted a cable dangling near the accelerator cable on throttle but assumed it wasn’t meant to be connected. Would like to rule this out.

Fluid looks good and also clean

360beast Jun 19th, 2022 22:29

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...-adjust-39702/

Othen Jun 20th, 2022 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedishScotsman (Post 2830131)
Thanks so much for the replies
I’m curious about the cable point… do you have a picture as to the set up you could possibly share with me?
I spotted a cable dangling near the accelerator cable on throttle but assumed it wasn’t meant to be connected. Would like to rule this out.

Fluid looks good and also clean

Fixing the kick-down cable is a good idea, but that won't stop the gearbox changing up - it does the opposite and when the pedal is pressed hard it changes down.

Have you tried driving the motor car like a manual, so pull away in 1, change up to 2 (should do so right away), then see at what speeds it will change into 3 and 4 (and lock up OD if it has that). That will establish what it is doing at the moment.

Alan

SwedishScotsman Jun 25th, 2022 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360beast (Post 2830115)

Cable spool had fallen off. Put it back on and used Wd40 to free off levers etc now working better than ever. Appreciate your assistance

360beast Jun 25th, 2022 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedishScotsman (Post 2831036)
Cable spool had fallen off. Put it back on and used Wd40 to free off levers etc now working better than ever. Appreciate your assistance

Glad you got it working with a nice easy fix!