Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Misty screen (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=320618)

lynns hubby Oct 13th, 2021 21:06

Misty screen

Well its that time of year again when we get misty screens early morning.
Our 2006 XC70 D5 takes forever to clear the screen in the mornings.
We use the push button for fast clear but it takes ages. I don't expect the screen to clear in seconds but it takes ages. The outside clears with a sweep of the wipers but immediately fogs up again.
I have changed the pollen filter thinking it may have been damp/dirty but it was fine. Cleaned all he leaves/rubbish etc from the outside vents still no different.
I have no leaks in the footwell and it does not use any coolant so it isn't the heater matrix leaking (thank goodness). The car is always dry inside so no condensation etc.
We have had several Volvos over the years from 240s to 940s which have been great for clearing the screen on a damp/cold morning. Is this something this model is prone to as it really is annoying especially now we are back to that time of year !!!!!

camturbo Oct 13th, 2021 21:25

I would be interested in any response to this as well,I've done the same as you but still mists up. Although my screen looks clean on inside you can see a slight haze when the sun hits it. Might give it a proper clean and go from there

lynns hubby Oct 13th, 2021 21:37

Its not the "haze" as you describe, its moist damp screen. Its when you get in the cold car and your breath starts to mist up the screen (as expected) it just takes so long to clear !!!!!

staffy460 Oct 14th, 2021 06:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynns hubby (Post 2777412)
Well its that time of year again when we get misty screens early morning.
Our 2006 XC70 D5 takes forever to clear the screen in the mornings.
We use the push button for fast clear but it takes ages. I don't expect the screen to clear in seconds but it takes ages. The outside clears with a sweep of the wipers but immediately fogs up again.
I have changed the pollen filter thinking it may have been damp/dirty but it was fine. Cleaned all he leaves/rubbish etc from the outside vents still no different.
I have no leaks in the footwell and it does not use any coolant so it isn't the heater matrix leaking (thank goodness). The car is always dry inside so no condensation etc.
We have had several Volvos over the years from 240s to 940s which have been great for clearing the screen on a damp/cold morning. Is this something this model is prone to as it really is annoying especially now we are back to that time of year !!!!!

im with you on this as mine does the same , ive cleaned the inside /outside too

John97Tdi Oct 14th, 2021 07:52

Mine is also a 2006 XC70 D5 that has difficulty demisting first thing in the morning. Same as you, no coolant leaks from heater matrix,clean pollen filter no blockages to vents etc and takes substantial amount of time to clear. I suspect that on a cool,damp night moisture that previously condensed in the heating/cooling system doesn't evaporate and so you end up blasting damp air until it dries out.
It might be just a placebo effect but it seems to help if I either don't use the aircon or if I've had the ventilation system on auto and the air con has been working I try to remember to turn the aircon off for the last mile or so before getting home in the belief that it will dry out. Seems to work (a bit) but would it have been the same if I hadn't done that?

John

cheshired5 Oct 14th, 2021 12:23

Is the AC compressor kicking in and working correctly in these cases?
The dehumidifying properties of AC usually help keep things clear very effectively.

Is the heater capable of producing uncomfortably warm air from the vents?

stuart bowes Oct 14th, 2021 12:42

I was gonna say the same but in more basic terms.. when I put my a/c on the condensation vanishes literally within seconds

Or to be more accurate, when I turn the air direction to 'up' which automatically turns ac on for that very reason

Side note when we used to go paintballing back in the day everyone used to use anti fog spray otherwise you're running blind the minute you break a sweat

Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hendlex-Coa...dDbGljaz10cnVl

No doubt others are available as well, might be worth a try I suppose until you get the issue sorted properly

Brendan W Oct 15th, 2021 17:39

Could the condensate drain be blocked?

The Phoenix Oct 16th, 2021 18:19

Try a sock filled Cat litter too in the car as this will help pull in the moisture inside the cabin too.

Simmy Oct 16th, 2021 22:21

silica gell cat litter in those socks on the dash